New mac setup option - help =D

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mediamab, Jun 11, 2009.

1. mediamab macrumors member

hiya guys,

So im planning on purchasing a new mac very soon.

I ideally want something powerful yet I also want something very portable. I am a web designer so I dont demand 8 cores etc but I do want something that will definitely last.

Im am now deabting... either a top spec IMAC and also a macbook air...

or

a top spec macbook pro with a 24" acd.

From what I have read I assume that the top spec IMAC's parts are similar to the macbook pro and so therefore I am assuming that it will be more powerful? So i feel it would be more beneficial to have the imac with the air. Also this riduces risk of not having a working computer but also having a fully portable machine, as when portable I wont be doing much of my work.

What do you guys think? Am I ring in thinking the MBP is not a lot more powerful than the imac?

2. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

The iMac, especially the one your considering, is a very capable computer.

I would suggest you consider the fact that with the iMac+Air, you have two completely different working environments, and you will need to figure out a workflow where you can move your data back and forth and have everything when you need it.

With the MBP, your setup is always the same and always with you. If portability of a MBP is no concern vs an Air, I would get the MBP.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If your laptop has to be very portable then Air + iMac because 15"/17" MBPs aren't very portable. Are those two setups similar money wisely? If they are, I would go for iMac + Air, but only if your laptop doesn't have to be the most powerful.

4. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

i guess i would plan on using an HDD conected to airport to share files and have certain folders synced.

I also in the past (i used to have macbook and g5 desktop) found that filling the laptop with programs and also using it for testing meant that the main computer was always clean and running smoothly.

Performance wise how does the MBP compare to the imac?

I think if I went for the MBP i would also look at the 30"acd.. eventhough yes I know it is old tech I still feel it is an amazing quality screen and would be very beneficial having the screen real estate. that said a 24" imac is still very useable.

5. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

for me i feel a laptop should be very portable and Id feel having a 15/17" laptop while on a train or sitting around the flat etc it looses its portbaility. Also from what I have read I could still do webdesign on the air... jus a 13" screen makes it a little trickier =D

my biggest concern is the power and quality of the machines. I have debated a pro but I feel it is beyond my needs. Yet I havent 100% discounted that option as im sure 4 years time it may be more suited to me.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Performance wise they are quite similar, iMac has faster HD (you can upgrade by yourself for faster one) and better GPU (4850 vs 9600GT), not more really.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Depends on how much you are not at the office. I find my self barely use my iMac, I use mostly my 17" MBP.

what the fudge?

17" MBP works fine for me. I move mine almost every day.

It's no way "aren't very portable", considering most PC 15" laptops are the same size and same weight as MBP 17".

Perhaps someone needs to work out.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Okay, "aren't very portable" wasn't the best phrase for that but if you need to carry 17" MBP every day for school example it isn't the best choice ;)

9. mediamab thread starter macrumors member

well i would be using them from home.. aside from my current job. ALso why i like the thought of the Air to bring to work and use aside from my work computer. I also want to start a blog etc and feel the air would be perfect for that.

Sounds like the combo may be a good solution. In the uk it works out roughly an IMAC and MBA is equal to a MBP with 30" acd so...

any1 have a view on the ACD - i knpow its old tech but from what I have seen its still a fantastic display...

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The 30-inch display amazing, it might be old, but it sure doesn't disappoint. As to the original question, you are probably on the right path, although why not just a 13-inch MacBook (Pro)?

11. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

agreed!

12. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

I've got a 13" MB and very happy. use it for everything but I am saving for an external display which is a must for me. 13" is fine though... no complaints.

If I were you I'd go for a very good 13" (or 15" if its a must but its bigger and heavier)

Then get a 24" or 30" display.
    But definitely only get one mac... get 2 and it complicates things. I like it simple and all in one good sorted out place with my 13" MB