new mac, several Q's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew83Ga, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Andrew83Ga macrumors regular

Newly converted mac guy here. Had a cheap, plasticy gateway before and it literally started falling apart after 2 years (not to mention I was getting really tired of vista). So I bought the 13" 2.53 macbook pro and I love it. But I find myself babying it to death. As with any new (ridiculously expensive) toy, I'd say it's typical for the first few weeks, but from what I understand the unibody construction makes this thing pretty tough. Not that I should start using it to prop up table legs or anything, but I mean, it is pretty durable right? A few other quick questions I had in mind being new to macs and whatnot:

-any problem with using it on my lap or should i use it on a flat hard surface?
    -I have it in my had that when the fans kick in (like while burning DVD, etc), its exerting itself too much. Tell me to stop being so paranoid.
    -lastly, does hard drive space effect performance? for example, i have about 180 gigs left from 250. Does it get worse when you reach "x" number of gigs?
    -and lastly lastly, thanks for your patience, and yes I'm an imbecile.

2. Mark-Mac-Attack macrumors regular

Everything is fine. Chill my man. Could potentially be a bit slow if it was a seriously full drive, but other than that, no.

3. oculus42 macrumors 6502

1. It's fine to use in your lap. I would avoid dropping, throwing, or putting it in a paint shaker, particularly while running. Be warned it may get toasty. Do avoid placing it on surfaces that are great insulators, like pillows or blankets. These remove any airflow the feet offered and keep the heat in.

2. It's fine if the fans kick in. If you're worried, install something like iStatMenu, which will let you monitor the various temperature sensors. Anything approaching boiling is bad.

3. Free space does affect performance, but not how you probably expect. Apple has a good article on this here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1375

4. Andrew83Ga thread starter macrumors regular