Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
So, I mentioned in another thread the ASUS X551M my wife won.

Made an upgrade to it this morning…:D

Probably will investigate hackintoshing it at some point. Don't know if that's possible or not with this model.

2015-10-11 09.22.25.jpg

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
if you give me the specs of the machine (I need detail too) I can give you a rough estemate on how well you (if at all) can hackintosh it. I have hackintoshed many computers from Northwood Pentium 4s to i7 3770K OCed workstations with 3 monitors so i tend to be good at this stuff :p

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
if you give me the specs of the machine (I need detail too) I can give you a rough estemate on how well you (if at all) can hackintosh it. I have hackintoshed many computers from Northwood Pentium 4s to i7 3770K OCed workstations with 3 monitors so i tend to be good at this stuff :p
It'll probably be a while before I can contemplate doing this. We were not expecting a new PC yesterday and we've got a bunch of other stuff at the moment we are working our way through. But I will see if I can get the specs for you so there is at least that.

Right now about all I know of it is that it has 4GB ram and a 500GB hard drive.

It'd be easier if the PC makers would stop making so many model variations off of one model number. Makes it really hard to tell exactly what you have.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Ahhh the days of Hackintoshing!

I remember them fondly, I started with a Dell Inspiron 600m running 10.4.7, then a HP Pavilion a810n (in October 2011, this computer was actually my main desktop the day that SJ died, I remember reading it on yahoo then 5 seconds later my mom yelled it to me from the living room) running Leopard 10.5.6, a Gateway NV5378u laptop (my first ever brand new computer) running SL 10.6.7 (only bummer was that the ATi Radeon 4200 didn't support QE), a few Optiplex GX620s running Snow Leopard, then my latest machine with a i7 4790k Devil's Canyon chip and a MSi Gaming 5 motherboard running 10.10.5 and has been the most stable thus far.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I find it interesting that when I do get around to this I will have a PC running OS X and a MacBook running Windows 7 Pro!

Reactions: Ih8reno

Xandros

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2010
Seeing how the term Hackintosh has been adapted to mean something else these days reminds me how bloody old I am.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I've never been able to hackintosh a notebook and have everything function props to those that can.
My father uses a Dell XPS 13 with Mavericks as his main work laptop. It drives three displays through his display port too :)

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I've tried on both my Latitudes and there was always something that was not functional. Desktops are generally click and drool easy but not with the lappys. I probably didn't spend enough time futzing with it I guess my GAS meter wasn't over far enough.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I've tried on both my Latitudes and there was always something that was not functional. Desktops are generally click and drool easy but not with the lappys. I probably didn't spend enough time futzing with it I guess my GAS meter wasn't over far enough.
I did one with an E4310. It didn't have working graphics due to some obscure integrated setup. But the trackpad worked! I could feasibly put El Cap on it, but without proper video acceleration, its pretty slow. Its best to look out for a laptop with Nvidia chipsets or known working integrated graphics. My father's XPS 13 had HD3000 if I remember right, same as my real MacBook Pro, so his was natively supported. Depending on what Erik has, it could be easy or hard to hack.

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
oh man Hacintoshes! I too had OSX leopard once upon a time on my Toshiba satellite A40. It ran very fast even considering the toshiba had Celeron 2.7Ghz 128kb cache. I got everything to work besides the crappy Intel GM87** something i think it was...

But i will defiantly agree with the above statements! On a tower, the success rate can be better! i did have 10.4.8 JaS running on my Outrigged at the time gaming machine pentium 4. It was a Hpdc 533 in a full size ATX with an ATI 9600 Pro and everything worked, including a Firewire PCI card i had in there! not only that the machine flew with its 3Ghz 1mb Cache and 2GB of RAm

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Right around the 10.5 era anything including AMD could be Hackintoshed as everyone used slipstreamed disks like iATKOS, iPC, etc. After 10.6 was introduced, the biggest concern was vanilla installs and it has always been more dedication to getting close to stock Mac hardware working rather than adding new hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.