New mac-transfering ipod notes ical, adress book

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sweener88, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Sweener88 macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Hi everyone!
    i just got a new mac and didnt want to migrate everything so that i could keep this new mac "clean" of my old stuff however im having a hell of a time transfering ical and address book over! Most importantly i got a new ipodtouch also and im wondering if anyone know how to transfer the stickie notes from my old ipod to new ipod?

thank you SO much in advance!

2. devburke Guest

Notes shouldn't be hard to do if you've got OS 3.0 on your iPod, you can just hook it up to your new computer and tell it to sync notes with the notes on your Mac, and then when you connect the new iPod, tell it to sync notes again. I think that should work. If you don't have OS 3.0, personally I'd recommend it, it's only $10.

Be careful when you first connect the iPod to your new computer though, click the wrong thing and it'll probably erase everything off your iPod. But it won't do it without warning, so just read before you click.

As for iCal and Address Book, if you have those synced to your iPod, the same method as above might work (even if you don't have OS 3.0). If not, connect your iPod to your old computer, tell it to sync calendars and contacts, and then try the above method. If for whatever reason that doesn't work try this:

In Address Book on your old computer, go to File -> Export -> Address Book Archive... and copy that file over to your new computer, then in Address Book go to File -> Import -> Address Book Archive...

I'm not sure if the Archive thing is there in Tiger and further back actually, but if your old computer has Leopard, that method will work.

For iCal you're essentially doing the same thing, with a different name. File -> Back up iCal... and File -> Restore iCal...

Hope that works for you!

3. Sweener88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sweener88

Thanks! address book and ical finally worked! im working in the ipod notes now! :)

4. geoffshep macrumors member