New Mac! Transferring

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by silentscreams22, Jul 20, 2016.

1. silentscreams22 macrumors member

So I just bought a new MBP! I was wondering if there is a way to transfer my safari favorites list to the new computer?

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

Doesn't Safari store them online in iCloud if you enable it?

3. silentscreams22 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure that's what I wanted to know. I plan to wipe this computer so I didn't know once I do if all of the stuff would also delete from iCloud?

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Will not the "setup assistant" do this for you, if you choose to bring over your accounts from the old Mac to the new one?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Go to this menu and it will export your bookmarks to a HTML file that you can email or copy to the new Mac. Then in that same menu import the file on the new Mac.

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 7.15.44 AM.png

6. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

If it is synced to iCloud, they will be synced across all devices if I'm not wrong. Erasing the computer (reinstalling the system) will simply erase the local bookmarks and access to your iCloud account, so all of your bookmarks will be there, unless you manually erase them all from your computer, which you shouldn't do in the first place.

7. hobowankenobi macrumors 6502

Migration Assistant will move everything.

...Just be sure there is not a new account on the new machine that has the exact same name as the account you want to move on the old one.