New Mac Trojan? Or, user installed DDoS client?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by munkery, Oct 26, 2011.

1. munkery, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Users installing DDoS clients to take part in the activities of groups, such as anonymous, has become trendy among some demographics of Internet users.

An article concerning Tsunami suggests that this new "Trojan" is actually a user installed DDoS client.

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/201...tm_medium=gcluley&utm_campaign=naked+security

The reference to Macs being soft targets due to the lack of anti-virus protection seems disingenuous given that recent versions of OS X include anti-malware protection by default.

Another article suggests that this Trojan is actually a user installed DDoS client.

http://blog.intego.com/tsunami-backdoor-can-be-used-for-denial-of-service-attacks/

Anybody aware of a Mac DDoS client that could be Tsunami being shared on the web?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Threads regarding Trojans etc on Macs are legion on this and other forums. You can safely ignore anything published by Sophos. The sell so-called security software. Sites such as the one you refer to are nothing more than advertisements for their "products" and should be disregarded.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

I am always very skeptical of warnings from companies like Sophos - they are trying to sell software, and often it is their software that makes your computer vulnerable.

It reminds me of an advertisement for alarm systems where someone breaks into a house where the lights are on and you can see people inside - any burglar that dumb would likely find themselves facing a gun or a very protective dog or a homeowner with a baseball bat or all three.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I am, too, but this doesn't come only from them: