New Mac Use Time Machine To Restore

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by cokeacola, Aug 7, 2008.

1. cokeacola macrumors member

A little advice please

ive just sold my mac and my new one will not be here by the time i have to give the old one way :(

i have my old one backed up fully with time machine is it easy to restore from time machine and what are the steps/procedure to achieve this

any help will be appreciated

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yes.... its pretty easy!:)

There are two methods:
    1. Connect your TM xHDD to your new Mac and when you start it up..... it'll give you some initial options (startup, account, etc...) it'll also give you the Migration Assistant Option where it'll ask you "From a TimeMachine Backup"

2. Insert your install disk and reboot. press 'c' before the apple logo appears. Select your language. In 'Utilities' from menubar.... select "backup from TimeMachine" (This is only possible if you've backed up your System folder as well!)

P.S.: what did you sell and what are you replacing it with?:D

3. joe-bloggs macrumors newbie

Yeah, its easy.

I just did a restore today on my Mac after putting in New HDD 320 GB 7200 rpm. I installed the OS and then ran the Migration Assistant. Easy Peasy!!!!

The only thing I had to do after was run the OSX updates again.

4. cokeacola thread starter macrumors member

P.S.: what did you sell and what are you replacing it with?:D[/QUOTE]

2.4 IMac 20" going

3.06 24" coming :)

and thank you for your advice , it sounds easy enough ;) also will it bring all my keychains,bookmarks,prefers and e-mail accounts across as well ?

5. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Nice.... enjoy! Any problems just post back!:D

6. joe-bloggs macrumors newbie

also will it bring all my keychains,bookmarks,prefers and e-mail accounts across as well ?

Should do the lot. Bookmarks, I use foxmarks for firefox and found this to be an awesome product. It Sync's your bookmarks across multiple PC's/Mac, so you never have the need to update all PC's

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Yes.... it should get all those back as well unless you havent backed up the system and he user libraries!