New Mac User... 10.5.8 Help please.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by portcontrol7, Aug 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portcontrol7 macrumors member

Not the best day with my MacBook. Deleted almost the entire utilities folder. Complicated. Anyhow, I am 100 percent positive it is GONE, so please no replies like "check the trash", or use spotlight.

I insert my 10.5 install disk, and it's warped, unrecognizable. Can anyone zip up the utilities folder from 10.5 and send it to me??? I am screwed until then. Better yet, put it on an FTP server and email me access? Message me and I will provide my email.

No more toying around in root... :(

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You can contact Apple for a replacement disk. I think it's around $15

3. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

If you're going to go that route, just buy a Snow Leopard Disc for $29.99 from Apple, and do an upgrade, saving all your things. Then you'd have 10.6.8 and more features.

4. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

Pay money to fix a problem? Ugh... Someone's gotta help me out, any sys admins out there?

5. Young Spade macrumors 68020

We're telling you what you need to do; it's only a few bucks; call Apple's customer support and order yourself a SL disk; it isn't like we're saying you need to buy an internal part to the machine or something.

6. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I remember there was a site... somewhere online, that had all of the files from Leopard on there... I don't remember the name though.. I remember trying to find out how to restore my old MB without the SL disks and I found that.

Didn't help me but I'm sure it's what you need. Google around.

8. blueroom, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Contact Apple for the disk for your particular MacBook, $15 just skip the morning coffee this week.

Why a new user on 10.5?

Plus tax.

9. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Seriously...come up with something better that this.

10. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

Seriously, I am broke. It is possible to not have any income whatsoever. I might get 25 bucks friday for fixing a friends wifi network. Looking on google for the files. Thought someone might be cool here, need to find sysadmin forums it appears.

11. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

12. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Just download the entire install DVD and extract the Utilities folder. :confused:

13. Young Spade macrumors 68020

how in the world would we send you the files? Better yet, couldn't you just download Lion (oh... well you don't have money, but still) and create a boot disk from that?

His Leopard CD doesn't work.

14. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Just a question, if you literally have 0 dollars to fix a problem why were you messing around in things that could potentially cause a massive one?

15. Young Spade macrumors 68020

How else is he going to fix the problem that he has?

16. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I mean the cause of the problem. The utilities folder doesn't delete itself. You are clearly messing with things that could go wrong if you end up deleting the utilities folder.

17. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

Okay you want to know how I deleted it. Studying the O'Reilly Mac in a Nutshell book. Learning key shortcuts. Loving it, having a great old time. Logged in as a sys admin (my mistake). Trying to get very quick in the finder with the shortcuts, added with command-T a shortcut to the utilities folder. Manually moved the utilities folder, and it was dropped into pictures.

Started copying, CANCELLED the copy. Deleted the copy in pictures, feeling pretty positive that the originsl utilities folder would be intact (mistake 2). Emptied trash as I am low on space. To my shock and horror I noted that everything in the utilities folder AFTER the letter A was gone!

Woops! I'll try finding utilities on a 10.6 dmg I downloaded. Tried yesterday couldn't find it. Try harder today, but doubt it. I would install 10.6 from my USB HD, but space is critically low on both Mac HD and USB drive. And I don't think it's possible to make the USB bootable without wiping out all 300 GB of crap on there.

18. kolax macrumors G3

Shame you had to go and admit to downloading OS X illegally, otherwise we'd be able to keep helping you.. maybe be less truthful next time huh.

19. portcontrol7 thread starter macrumors member

Whoa! No worries, I'll find a way to get the utilities. Just thought someone out there with an FTP server could make it easy on me by being friendly. Not here it appears.

Cheers!

20. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I will upload them to dropbox (or another method if you want), but I just want to know if Utilities for 10.6.8 is okay.

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread closed since piracy and illegally downloading the software is intertwined to OP's problem.

From the Forum Rules:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.