New Mac user. Advice on what to do.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m.amjad, Aug 13, 2011.

1. m.amjad macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am a brand new mac user. Just received a macbook pro 2.3ghz yesterday. Since I am not familiar with the computer, I could use some guidance on what is recommended for new users. I heard about calibrating the battery, and I think I will do it tonight. Also, I was thinking of maybe purchasing some kind of hardware protection items. However, I don't know what is good, I hear some people say purchase a keyboard cover and some say not too. I want to get a hard case but I also want to get a decal. I'm just so confused on what is recommended, and nobody to personally guide me. I feel kind of lost, but excited at the same time. I would appreciate any input offered.

Thanks

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

you don't need to calibrate the battery of a new MacBook.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Congratulations!
    Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Your MBP came pre-calibrated, so you don't need to do that. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:
    There's no reason not to, if you prefer using one.

Also, you don't need any antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

4. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

This is a great post! You should have all the info you need to start enjoying your new Mac! Welcome to the Mac family! Also checkout Apple's website for some great how to videos to show you all the great things your Mac is capable of...
    http://support.apple.com/videos/

5. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

6. randomrazr macrumors 65816

7. Pyre1582 macrumors newbie

I was new too and I went out on a 15inch 2.3GHz, High-Res Anti-Glare screen. Lol.

Congratulations on the new Mac, by the way.