New Mac user - Can windows only programs work on Mac bootcamp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kinkokoro, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Kinkokoro macrumors member

Can they?
    Like my digital camera says, "designed for windows", If I boot up in XP, would it recognize it as a windows computer? How about gaming? Can I go into boot camp and use my same old game disks to play games on it? if I can, is the performance stammered down? Please help.

Josh

2. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Boot Camp runs as a native speed PC… So all your Windows (XP and Vista?) apps should be fine.

3. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Yeah once you're booted into Windows via bootcamp, your Mac essentially is a PC as far as Windows and any apps/games are concerned.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Your digital camera will probably work in OSX just fine without resorting to booting Windows. Almost all do.

But I think you are confused as to what Bootcamp is. Bootcamp lets you install and run a fully licensed copy of Windows. But you need to supply that Windows installer CD. Bootcamp alone (without a copy of Windows) does not let you run Windows software or games.

5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

It will all run fine, although I do suspect the digi camera will actually connect faster in OSX

6. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Exactly my thought. I've connected a few people's off-brand digital cameras into my Mac and iPhoto recognized them fine after they couldn't get their Windows machines to work with it.

7. Roguepirate macrumors member

I got my first mac last week and can completely agree with this statement, I installed some engineering software and games and they both work as if i were back on a PC.

8. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

Boot camp is a bunch of tools combined to make getting into windows easier.
    1. It is a lossless disk Partitioner so you can partition your drive without loosing you MacOS envrionment and files.

2. It emulates the boot loader. Windows expects an old fashon BIOS the ones on macs are much more advanced. Bootcamp make the new one act like the old BIOS so Windows can boot, like on a PC.

3. It gives your drivers to work with your hardware. Video Drivers, Mouse Drivers, Keyboard Drivers, iSight Drivers... This is like the driver disk that comes with almost any PC.

So after all that is put in Windows Run on you Mac just as well if not better then other PCs. Everything should work just as well on your Mac as a PC. you could even install hardware that OS X doesn't support but Windows does and that will work as well. As the earler post after you have booted into windows from boot camp you system will run like a normal PC no different then from the others except for that it has an apple logo on it and it looks cooler.

9. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Quick question, does it come with a utility to emulate the right-click, as in an easy way for laptops with the double-tap instead of some awkward key combination :)

10. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

A mac is a PC. Bootcamp is just a program to help you partition your drive and install Windows (and it includes Windows drivers for apple hardware). After that you are basically dual booting Windows and OSX on a 'PC'.

11. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

Yes. Put two fingers on the trackpad and click. BTW, I think having 2 mouse buttons on a laptop is awkward.

12. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

That just sounds dirty.

13. Kinkokoro thread starter macrumors member

So would I treat bootcamp like a regular windows? such as...Nortan Virus scan. What happens if I were to catch a virus while in Bootcamp?

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Windows would be infected, just as it normally would. It is a PC. There's no difference, no emulation. It's just as if you we're installing on any other Intel based PC.