New Mac User: Everything installs on desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous12, May 21, 2011.

1. anonymous12 macrumors member

So I just got a new macbook pro high-end 13" model and every time I install a new application, it installs on the desktop. This is how it looks like:
    Screen shot 2011-05-21 at 12.49.04 PM.jpg

2. ' r i S e n macrumors regular

That's not the application - just Right Click -> Eject it.

3. anonymous12 thread starter macrumors member

What is that then? And every time I install a software will the new software always be on the desktop like that? And one more question. In windows there's a section "program files" where you can see all your installed applications and everything. Is there a section like that on the mac?

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

That is the disk image. Just open it, drag the .app to the applications folder and then eject it.

Watch this. New Mac? Where to start!

All of your applications should be in the Applications folder, similar to all programs on windows.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you download an app, it comes in it's own "disk", or .dmg file, that's much like inserting a DVD. That .dmg appears on your desktop like other drives. You open it to install the app that's inside, usually by dragging that .app to the Applications folder. After you've completed the app install, you eject the "drive" or .dmg file, in the same way you'd eject a DVD after installing from it.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

Edit: 3 more responses since I started this post! I type soooo slow, compared to all these young whipper-snappers! LOL!

6. anonymous12 thread starter macrumors member

Dammit I have another problem. I have an Iphone and it was synched with my old computer. Now I moved all my music to the new macbook and I changed up the playlists and when I try to sync my music from my macbook to my iphone, it does like a 5 second thing and stops. It doesn't even sync at all.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Pretty sure you have to transfer all of your purchases and then restore it and sync with the new computer.