New Mac user, few questions on dual drives (SSD+HDD)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HighlandSpring, Sep 2, 2012.

1. HighlandSpring, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

HighlandSpring macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

Happy to be on here, first post, lots of charming people and insightful posts I've read so far.

Just purchased my first mac, a 2.3ghz 2012 model with a 128 SSD and HR-AG display. In the waiting period for it to be shipped (along with 16gb Crucial RAM) and very glad to make the switch to a OS and machine that benefits my workflow.

Regarding dual drives, I had a few questions. I did a search and this thread was very helpful

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1347247

Although I'd like to find out more.

1. From what I understand (and I may be incorrect, please let me know if I am) but the RAM, HDD slot & ODD are all classed as user servicable parts on the 2012 machine, right? So If I were to replace the ODD with a HDD for storage that would not void my 3 year warranty?

2. I understand that if I mess up here, then it's not covered by warranty. I feel comfortable enough with all the video guides and direction going inside the laptop and replacing the ODD with a caddy and HDD. Has anyone any experience of the HDD getting too hot or overheating? Along with two drives running I'll pretty much always be using Photoshop, CaptureOne FinalCutPro and Bridge along with lots of open tabs and music etc. Uncomfortable heat/overheating and shutting down is the main concern for me after the warranty assuming it's covered.

3. My setup will be a work machine, apps stored on the SSD, other files stored on the internal HDD (assuming it won't overheat or cause issues) which is all backed up into another HDD upon getting home via Time Machine. Will the size of the HDD or it's RPM affect battery life running two drives? What is your preferable way to keep battery life longer, smaller 5400rpm hard drive?

and just out of curiosity what SSD does Apple use in the 2012 models (read, what am I getting?) I read it was either Toshiba or Samsung. Is it the Samsung 830?

If I'm incorrect in anything please let me know as I'm not a computer man by any standards. I'm open, I'm new, and eager to learn.

Thanks for your advice and reccomendations ;)

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Only the ram is user replaceable. I believe hdd isn't and odd definitely isn't and will void your warranty.

3. spoonie1972 macrumors 6502a

i've been told by a mac tech that the HDD is user replaceable, but if you do the dvd-caddy-HD swap... warrantee void.

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Ya I believe the hdd is, but I wasn't 100% sure.

5. RAWphenom macrumors member

This screen is the truth. I turned my iPhone flashlight on and pointed it directly at the screen just to see how it'd handle it....it was pretty impressive.

6. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

If you don't loose any screws, you can simply put anything back together to send in a warranty case. Nobody will be the wiser. There are no seals you need to break.
    Unless you are a complete idiot there isn't a whole lot to break there. Computers aren't nearly as vulnerable as some people imagine. The only thing that breaks them is pluggin in other stuff that is broken. Not really an assembly error.

Heat doesn't matter. The heat a 2.5" HDD or SSD emits really makes no difference.

I recommend 5400rpm. Not for battery life but because of noise and the non existing speed difference in sequential performance. 7200rpm as a data drive is imo just stupid (no benefit only downsides like price, noise, space). After 500GB are filled up on both drives the 1TB 5400rpm almost beats the 7200rpm drive in speed.
    What matters most for battery life is often the drive spins down and if it stays spun down.

I also don't recommend putting only Apps and OS on the SSD. All work data should be on it too. Use the HDD for archives and big files like movies, music that you do not need all the time. 128GB can fit quite a bit more than just apps.
    Putting the entire User folder on the HDD kind of defeats the purpose. You get fast app startup time but the work data still loads slow. How often do you start an app or restart the machine?

7. HighlandSpring thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, that’s a shame.

Thanks for the advice guys, wouldn’t want to fiddle about inside and have it be refused service later, would rather have the warranty and carry an external drive if I need it.

RAWphenom, yeah it’s pretty neat isn’t it? Just its benefit alone would make editing photos on the go so much more pleasurable.

Thanks for clarifying up the heat/noise question, Dusk007. I like what you wrote about storing the work files on the SSD to get the speed benefit, that’s what I’ll do out of the box. Then when done with the working files, transfer and archive to an external. Music wise, Cloud and Match seem good alternatives to storing on SSD

8. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

Replaced thermal paste and sent mine in. Just don't screw anything up when you put it back together