New Mac User, Few Simple questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ross1308, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Ross1308 macrumors member

Hey guys well im new here and new to Mac's so, here are a few simple quesitons i was hoping to get answered.

1- Does upgrading RAM myself void my warranty/Guarantee with apple ? (Only asking this because they have a guide on there site on how to do it yourself)

2- Can someone direct me to somewhere where i can see simple tips to using mac's and things to avoid etc etc..

Thats all i can think of for now guys, Thanks Ross

btw, im sure i will have plenty of questions soon :D

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Use the Finder's help as well as the application's help.
    Search this forum and you will find plenty of good info.

3. deriko100 macrumors 6502

1- It depends some Macs are memory upgradable without voiding your warrenty some include the Macbook Pro, Mac Pro, Macbook, Imac, most of the models forgive me if i missed any.

2- You dont need a guide macs are so easy to use that you dont need help if you need any just pm me ill help

4. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Upgrading your ram yourself does not void your warranty; in fact, I highly suggest you do it yourself to save money. If you go to the Mac Basics and Help forum (which you already know where it is, I see) you will find lots of helpful information. Also, if you go to the forum for your computer, you will find specific help topics.

5. timestoby macrumors 6502

as for the tips etc,why not look above where it has the mac guides.thats wot ill be reading in a few days :D

6. Ross1308 thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah another question, What is the max amount of ram my macbook would be upgradable to, because i was on the Crucial site and it said Max amount each slot supports is 1Gb i thought it was 2gb per slot.
    Thanks

7. 204467 macrumors 6502a

The current MB's can hold 4 gigs of RAM, though the new ones may be able to hold more.

8. Ross1308 thread starter macrumors member

Excellent, Do you think i should max out to 4gb

9. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Only if you're going to be doing any RAM intensive work. If you're just doing word processing, browsing, iTunes, etc, two gigs is fine. If you're doing really simple tasks, one would probably cut it without a problem.

10. redmeister macrumors 6502

id say 2gb should cut it for most things unless you're into some intensive programs

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree with redmesiter; unless you are seriously into gaming, 2 GB RAM ought to be sufficient for your needs.
    Cheers