Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Hey everyone,
so i got my 2.4mbp yesterday(first mac ever) and have some questions..
*how to select all text in a bar by the keyboard?
*theres no (cut/move) option in mac os x??if theres then whats the keyboard shortcut?
*whats ''Alias''? is it same as ''shortcut'' in windows??
*whats the weird key on the right of the optiion(apple)key??

thanks for your time!

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
*how to select all text in a bar by the keyboard?
:apple:-A (otherwise known as Command-A). The :apple: key is the modifier key for must keyboard shortcuts.

*theres no (cut/move) option in mac os x??if theres then whats the keyboard shortcut?
:apple:-X is cut, :apple:-C is copy, :apple:-V is paste.

*whats ''Alias''? is it same as ''shortcut'' in windows??
Yes.

*whats the weird key on the right of the optiion(apple)key??
I assume you mean the "command" or :apple: key. See above.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
-X is cut, -C is copy, -V is paste.

I think he meant as in cut or move documents in finder to paste/move them to a different folder.

As far as I know you cant cut files in finder. I really miss that ability since I used it all the times in windows. I hope that Leopard includes it (although I have not heard anything about that).

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I think he meant as in cut or move documents in finder to paste/move them to a different folder.

As far as I know you cant cut files in finder. I really miss that ability since I used it all the times in windows. I hope that Leopard includes it (although I have not heard anything about that).

Quite true - you can't cut files using the keyboard in Finder, which is a bit of a pain I agree.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington

Command - c, followed by Command - Delete. :)

I think the idea is that, unlike text, you can lose important information that has no backup,l and do so very quickly, andpossibly without knowing it.
You could cut a file, and lose it very easily as it doesn't actually go to the trash, it goes into a "void" and if you copy/cut over it, you lose it.

I know people who have a hard enough time getting x c and p to work just using single words, I wouldn't want to move them over and have them use it on the file system with the ability to cut :eek:

I suppose if you are a huge keyboard junky this would be helpful. HOwever since I have Exposes keyed to one of my mouse buttons, as well as a hot corner, I can move files just with the mouse pretty easily.

Trick: Set up Expose to have a hot corner. When dragging a file you can drag it into the hot corner, which will activate Exposes. Don't let go of the file, but continue dragging to the folder you want. You can then hit the space bar and it will select the window you have highlighted and bring it to the front. Now let go of the file, and vwalla! It's moved :)

Or if you have a multi button mouse (mine is a 5) you can hav eone of the other buttons activate Expose. YOu can click and drag, and give it an exposes click mid drag. Use staps above, except instead of the space bar, you can use the same button you used to activate expose.

Or, just use your windows method, and add Command-Delete to your key sequence :)

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
To move files, you can also hold down the option key while dragging them to their new location.

I think this is a good feature because if you accidentally cut something without pasting it and then copy or cut another thing you lose the original thing forever.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
I think this is a good feature because if you accidentally cut something without pasting it and then copy or cut another thing you lose the original thing forever.

I am sorry but I never lost a file by cutting it. In windows the file is not deleted until it is pasted somewhere else. So I dont agree with your argument and is something that should be included in OSX.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I am sorry but I never lost a file by cutting it. In windows the file is not deleted until it is pasted somewhere else. So I dont agree with your argument and is something that should be included in OSX.

Yup; it 'grays out' the file until it is pasted (moved) somewhere. If your clipboard is overwritten, the file reverts back. Pretty cool actually, and fairly idiot proof.

Earendil said:
Command - c, followed by Command - Delete.

That doesn't work. I'm not sure if you're implying it does, but it doesn't work here. (tiger, macpro). It works if I paste the file before I delete, but not after.

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Yup; it 'grays out' the file until it is pasted (moved) somewhere. If your clipboard is overwritten, the file reverts back. Pretty cool actually, and fairly idiot proof.

That doesn't work. I'm not sure if you're implying it does, but it doesn't work here. (tiger, macpro). It works if I paste the file before I delete, but not after.

Than... what he said :)
I don't have my laptop here at work with me to try it exactly. I'm sure I've done it though... huh.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
How is that moving a file? That is copying it instead.

Anyway, welcome to Mac world.

If you hold down option while moving between folders on the same volume, the file is moved, rather than copied. If you are moving between different volumes, the file is copied rather than moved.

In each case the option key modifier overrides the default behavior.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Alias is the same as shortcut in Windows or "symbolic link" in Unix parlance. However, alias has the additional ability that if the original file being linked is moved, the alias keeps track, so the link does not break.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
thanks all for replays =)
im so happy that i got this thing,this machine just ROCKS and the OS X makes me want to throw out whenver i see my past* siemens laptop:eek:,

however the alias is really GREAT..it was lots of pain on windows when i make a shortcut of something and move the original file..then the shortcut doesnt work.thats just PAIN...
how to *cut* files by using the mouse anyway??

i just wonder if i can make quick time open spicific kind of files..lets say only mp3 and WAV..how can i do that?? instead of pressing open by everytime..

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
i just wonder if i can make quick time open spicific kind of files..lets say only mp3 and WAV..how can i do that?? instead of pressing open by everytime..

It's been explained elsewhere on the forums. I'd suggest to anyone to search the forums for a bit before asking. But since you asked, here's how.

Select a file of the type you wish to change the application association. Either hit Command-I or select File->Get Info. Under the info window, change the "Open with:" to the app of your choice, then click "Change All..."

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
It's been explained elsewhere on the forums. I'd suggest to anyone to search the forums for a bit before asking. But since you asked, here's how.

Select a file of the type you wish to change the application association. Either hit Command-I or select File->Get Info. Under the info window, change the "Open with:" to the app of your choice, then click "Change All..."

yah actually i noticed the other thread right after i posted this post >_<
thanks anyway,will make sure to search next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.