New Mac user...iMac arrives tomorrow...where to start?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CP450, May 4, 2008.

1. CP450 macrumors newbie

I've decided to make the switch and ordered a new 3Ghz 24" iMac. I chose a 1TB HD and 4G of RAM. I want to do some photo and video editing (nothing professional, simply vacation photos and video). Any suggestions on the following would be much appreciated:

1. Back-up: Should I use a 1GB Time Capsule or a 1 GB GTECH drive with Time Machine?

2. Should I partition the internal HD?

3. Should I use a 'scratch disk' for video editing? If so, any suggestions?

4. Any suggestions for ease of transfer of my data from my PC (photos, iTunes library, mail, IE favorites, etc.)?

5. Anything else you would suggest for a new Mac user?

Thanks for the help and the incredible education I've received from these forums!

2. MacAodh macrumors regular

You don't need the wireless as it's a fixed location computer, I'd go with the GTECH drive as it's cheaper.

Unless your going to use linux/windows i see no reason to

if i knew what a scratch disk was i'd comment :confused:

A: Timemachine, B: firewire cable or the simple option C: enternet cable and manually - simple enough to do these days.

Enjoy :D but also, Don't be afraid to fiddle, there much easier to costomise then windows pc's. - all the options are located where you'd expect.

3. MacAodh macrumors regular

Ops, if your a pc-mac switcher i'm not sure the best option to transfer files, probably either put them all onto a harddisk or use an enternet cable. I know you can get programs that will do it for you (think apple sell one too) but to be honest with you it's easy enough to do so i'd just do it yourself.

4. CP450 thread starter macrumors newbie

With regard to the storage...

I should mention that I MB or MBP later this year. Can I use a GTech HD as a NAS-like drive for both the iMac and the notebook? Thanks for the tips.