New Mac user, intrigued by apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by fgduthie, Jan 21, 2015.

1. fgduthie macrumors member

fgduthie

Hi folks,

I'm not sure if many will be able to answer this, but hopefully so. I recently bought a MacBook Pro and I'm intrigued by the fact that if I get an Apple TV box, I can stream to it from my Mac. I have 2 questions about this:

1. Does this work for webpages? For instance if I was streaming live sporting events, can I stream it to the Apple TV box? Or is it only for iTunes/Quicktime/VLC player?

2. Are the functions on the Apple TV (For the UK iPlayer, BBC Radio, etc) regionalised? ie Can I continue to watch these items, from a UK box in mainland Europe? Or is it still a legal thing of only being available in the individual countries unless I use a VPN?

Many thanks for any help

Fraser

2. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Using Airplay on your Mac, you can treat the AppleTV just like an external monitor. Perfomance using wired gigabit ethernet isn't bad, but certainly not as responsive as a directly connected external monitor. A wifi connection to the Apple TV will be much slower.

As for the rest, I don't know for sure, but am pretty sure it is regionalized.

3. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

I stream movies from my air to my Apple TV over wifi and the performance is fine. The resolution might not be a perfect match but that could just be my crappy tv.

I live in Australia and I see the nba, ufc fighting, plus other subscription services. You also get you tube, Apple trailers, but I don't see any specific Australian type apps.

My advice would be to pick up a cheap refurb or second hand Apple tv and give it a go.

4. fgduthie thread starter macrumors member

fgduthie

Brilliant, cheers for that. It thought it may of been that way, but that's pretty cool.

Will see about the regionalised thing - give's me options for moving around.

Thanks for your help

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The apple tv does not support Iplayer. Also, even the competitors products which do support iPlayer are not available outside the UK using a non UK IP address. You can get around this by using a proxy so that you appear to have a UK IP.

6. fgduthie thread starter macrumors member

fgduthie

Cheers for that aswell. I live in Germany but from the UK so trying to see options for it. Got time to try and find options/solutions but thank you for your help aswell