New Mac User, Is the Apple Protection Plan worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Snakel3ite, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Snakel3ite macrumors newbie

I am not a new-new mac user because I used them throughout school, but this will be MY first Mac ever. In a few days I am buying the Alum MacBook... and I am wondering if the extra 2 years on the Apple Protection Plan worth the cash. Is it?

I do not have the money for it at the moment, but have enough to get the MB. So, what do you all guys think?

-
    Austin

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

3. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Would you buy home insurance if it cost ~15% of the value of your house, and lasted for 3 years?

Oh, and as mentioned above, if you do spring for it, make sure you buy it 364 days after you buy the macbook! You can purchase it anytime up to one year from purchase date of your computer.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

wait and buy off of ebay

You can buy applecare off of ebay, and its good as long as its done within the end of the year.

Apple portables (come to think of it, all macs except the mac pro) have a history of being difficult and expensive to repair if they break. The portables especially.

It's also hard to say if this is going to be the case with the alum macbook. It promises to be the most robust notebook apple's ever made, but it IS a version A of a product.

If the logic board fries thirteen months after you purchase it and costs 600-800 to fix, you'll want to kick yourself over not spending the 150-250 for the applecare.

5. Snakel3ite thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Apple Care

Thanks for all the input... I will definitely buy it, and I am glad I do not have to rush into buying it this week.

Thanks so much! :) I just needed some comfort in buying it, cause it ain't cheap as you can agree.

-
    Austin

6. firecrasher macrumors member

Do you live near an Apple Store or will you be relying on phone support? Luckily I work across the street from one and can drool all over the new iStuff on lunch break :)

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

To Apple stockholders, it is absolutely worth it.

8. Snakel3ite thread starter macrumors newbie

I live close by the Mall of America Apple store :)

I won't have problems in the tech support department :p

Thanks again, this thread might not be worth keeping open ^_^

9. Cozmo85 macrumors regular

It doesn't add 3 years, it just upgrades you to 3 years from the date of purchase, so doing it anytime during your 1 year is the same.

Also you can get it for $150 off ebay, using the 30% microsoft cashback deal you can read about on any deal site it comes out to a little over $100

10. azdmelani macrumors member

Yes. I just bought one off ebay. There is a 10% coupon through Oct 30, then I will receive 25% cash back. Essentially I got it for $100

11. Snakel3ite thread starter macrumors newbie

Great thing that eBay is around :) Glad that was brought to my attention. I will take advantage of eBay :D

:apple: Austin

12. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

What is the 30% Microsoft cashback deal?!? Never heard of this :confused:

13. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Anybody know what the 30% M$ cashback deal is? If I can save another 30% on Applecare I am more likely to buy it.