new mac user; itunes+picasa library import issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jajaj0, Jun 11, 2011.

1. jajaj0 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i am relatively new to the mac osx and I had a couple of questions. When I got this mac I immediately installed a 7200 rpm as my main drive. I also purchased a Caddy and replaced my disc drive with the stock 320gig hdd that came with the mac.

What I did with my new 500gig hdd was I split it into two and run bootcamp on one of the partitions. I then used the stock hdd that came with the mac as a tempo. file dump for my previous machine, that was windows. I formatted the drive into NTFS, dumped all of my data onto it, hooked it up to my mac and then dumped it all off onto my NTFS, Bootcamp partition of Windows. I then formatted the drive back for OSX and made a replicate of all my data onto it just in case for future reference, extra back-up and in-case of a problem with accessing my data from the NTFS drive.

For the most of my time, I use OSX and W7 is very situational so I have no reason to be on it all the time. I downloaded Picasa & Itunes on my mac and tried to distribute my backed up files off the NTFS drive into those applications. I think I figured it out with Picasa, although I would really LOVE it to scan my entire Bootcamp drive, it seems that I have to manually select folders and upload images. As far as I tunes goes, nothing. I tried drag-drop, I tried file-playlist, smart playlist, moving a song over to my mac partition and staying away from ntfs bootcamp, to see if that would fix the problem. Nothing, I'm stuck with that dumb "click here to scan your local home folder for .mp3's" and w.e but it does NOTHING. At first it gave me permission error issues of accessing my bootcamp drive so I changed my folders to read+write with cmd+i options. Now I see the songs "copy" but I never leave that Library splash window.

This is really bugging me out because when I did my research I thought that NTFS is FULLY readable by OSX, I can't write to it but that's why I have a main OSX partition that the app is installed on and a WHOLE extra hdd. I don't understand why my data off of my bootcamp drive can't be easily accessible, universally throughout all applications on my mac. Just as long as I can re-route the destination to my bootcamp drive, proper directory with proper permissions - why is this such a hassle? What am I doing wrong?

Can anyone please help me!!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Just install NTFS-3G on your Mac. Your problems should disappear.

3. jajaj0 thread starter macrumors newbie

That did not help. I am now unable to mount the Bootcamp partitioned drive because of some fuse error.. :/