Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasbird

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2007
My new macbook 2ghz 1gb is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I didn't have the cash/real need to go with mpb. I am getting the 10$ upgrade in a couple days. Is there any downside to installing this myself since I jumped the gun on buying a macbook? Will I still get all the features that a leopard preloaded mb will? Also, is this macbook adequate for running leopard provided that i have no real heavy needs just notes, pdfs, movies and music? Any cool apps to download for newish mac user?

cooknwitha

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
London
Welcome to the Mac community!! :)

You won't be missing out on anything that a post-Oct 26th customer will get. When your Leopard disc arrives, updating it will be a very simple 'follow the onscreen instructions' procedure. All the software will be exactly the same because it's just the OS that'll be updated. iLife etc. will remain.

And as far as I'm aware, your Macbook will be able to handle Leopard okay. The only question is with RAM and that's easy to boosted if you need it. I guess that'll be answered once Leopard is released and people start using it en masse.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Upgrading to Leopard from Tiger will be an absolute doodle. Put the disc in, few clicks and 30mins later you are on Leopard.

The new applications - well you'll have iLife '08 already installed, and anything new with Leopard will be installed too.

Nothing to lose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.