New Mac user... need some help with software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rockatteer, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Rockatteer macrumors member

Rockatteer

Hi,

I've just purchased a second hand iMac G3 which is running OS X 10.2 for my son to use for home work etc, but because it's second hand it's only got what I assume to be the basic operating system. (no manuals, install CD or anything)

Can anyone suggest, or point me to where I can find some basic Office-like and picture editing software that will run on 10.2?

I've been searching the net all night and had no luck finding anything except a word processor.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Rocky

2. sirxavier macrumors newbie

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

For picture editing you might want the Gimp, or GimpShop which are both excellent (virtually the same program, but the *Shop version is more like Photoshop if that is what you are used to)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're looking for completely free options, your best bet is to figure out how to download a sufficiently old version of NeoOffice that will run on 10.2. I think you need a 1.5.x version.

There might also be a program called AppleWorks already installed that used to be bundled with Macs -- if it's there, it features fairly basic word processing, spreadsheeting, presentations, drawing, etc.

In terms of options that would not be free...

- If you get a used copy of Panther (10.3, probably about $20) or Tiger (10.4, probably about $40-50), you will be able to run much more recent software such as the current versions of NeoOffice or OpenOffice Aqua.

- Microsoft Office has had three releases for OS X -- Office.X (released around 2001, I think), Office 2004, and Office 2008. The last is not compatible with 10.2, but Office.X is and if you're fully updated, you can use Office 2004, also. Office.X should be available periodically from someone who has an old copy lying around for... $25 or 30. Office 2004 will probably cost you more, guessing about $60, but I'm not sure.

5. The Awesome macrumors member

Upgrading to 10.3 or 10.4 will instantly give you a dearth of available (and free) apps.

6. Rockatteer thread starter macrumors member

Rockatteer

thanks for the replies guys.

AppleWorks wasn't included so it sounds like I'll be needing to spend a bit more money on upgrading.

Will upgrading slow the computer down?