New mac user needs help: Create a folder in a folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dberch1956, Jan 2, 2010.

1. dberch1956 macrumors newbie

How do I create a new folder within another folder? When I click the new folder icon at the top of Finder, it always puts the new folder at the bottom of a VERY long list.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Create a folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it to whatever you want, open that folder by double clicking on it and create a new folder, then rename it .....

Or create a new folder, rename it, create another new folder, rename it and move it into the folder you want to.

Or change to column view, create a folder, rename it to whatever you want, go to the next column on the right, which will be empty and resemble the contents of the just created folder, then create a new folder and rename it to whatever you want, go to the next column on the right, which will be empty and resemble the contents of the just created folder, then create a new folder and rename it to whatever you want, go to the next column on the right, which will be empty and resemble the contents of the just created folder, then create a new folder and rename it to whatever you want, go to the next column on the right, which will be empty and resemble the contents of the just created folder, then create a new folder and rename it to whatever you want, go to the next column on the right, which will be empty and resemble the contents of the just created folder, then create a new folder and rename it to whatever you want, go to the next column on the right, which will be empty and resemble the contents of the just created folder, then create a new folder and .....

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/
    http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/
    http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

3. dberch1956 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the quick response! I don't get your first paragraph. Looks like you got stuck on repeat or paste or something. I have looked at all the Mac startup help links and it tells you how to create a folder, but not how to create one in a specific place. At least I don't get that from the start up links.

My apologies as I think perhaps my question wasn't specific enough...
    Folder1 already exists. I want to create an new folder (Folder2) inside Folder1.

When I create a new folder, no matter where I'm at, Finder puts it at the very bottom of LONG list of files. I can rename it, but I can't drag it up to the folder where I want to put it, because it's way off screen above the new folder. In Widows, If I drag a folder or file to the top of the screen, the page starts to scroll and continues until I get to the desired spot. Finder doesn't seem to do that.

Also, if I select a folder and click Create New Folder, I expect Finder to put the new folder inside the currently selected folder. It doesn't seem to work like that.

Please help.

Thanks!
    David

4. dberch1956 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I simply double click on the folder I want to go in to it. Right click on the white space in the folder I just opened, and click on "New Folder"

It'll organise them when you go out and go back in, alternatively right click the white space again and sort by something such as name

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's because the new folder is originally named "Untitled folder" which begins with one of the last letters of the alphabet.
    You could sort in List View (CMD+2) by "Date Modified", then the folder would be on top.

Scrolling to the top of a list while in List View (CMD+2) and while having something (a file or folder) to be dragged under the mouse pointer can be tough sometimes.
    But when you drag something to the top and hover a while above the Name or Size column, the content will scroll after a while. Try it, I just did, and it works.

That's not how Finder works.

In Finder there are four views, Icon View (CMD+1), List View (CMD+2), Column View (CMD+3) and Cover Flow (CMD+4).

While in List View every new folder will be created in the folder that is currently opened and viewed, you can see the name of the folder in the title bar of the current Finder window.
    For example:

You are currently in a folder called "nothing good ever came out of" which has several files and other folders in it.
    The title bar of that Finder window will read "nothing good ever came out of".

Every new folder you create by clicking the new folder icon or pressing CMD+SHIFT+N will be created in the folder called "nothing good ever came out of", even when you have selected a folder called "gallifrey" or whatever.

To actually create a new folder in the folder "gallifrey" you have to open (double click) the folder "gallifrey" so that the Finder window title bar will read "gallifrey".

In Column View, you have several columns.
    The left columns is the folder, the right column is the content of that folder, which can be files and folders. The column to the right of the right column is either a preview of the selected file, or the content of a selected folder.

Column 1__________Column 2__________Column 3_______________Column 4

Folder A____________file 1_____________preview/info of/n file 1

___________________file 2_____________preview/info of/n file 2

___________________folder B___________file 11__________________preview/info of/n file 1

_____________________________________file 22__________________preview/info of/n file 22

_____________________________________folder C

and so forth.

The _______ are only meant for proper spacing to visualize the system.

In that view you can create folders more easy, by selecting the Folder A in column 1, clicking in column 2, creating a new folder B, clicking in column 3, creating a new folder, .... and so on.

Does that clear up some things?

7. dberch1956 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks. That clears it up.

I was right clicking on the folder in the file list. Need to open the folder and then right click.

Thanks guys!
    David