New Mac User needs help with back ups

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boxtko, Dec 8, 2007.

1. boxtko macrumors newbie

I'm a new Mac user and I am looking for a way to back up all documents (ipages and other word processing programs) and photos (iphoto and other photo programs). I purchased .mac and tried to use the idisk, but it seems it is really not meant for backing up large amounts of photos and docs. To be honest, after days of trying to figure idisk out, I'm not quite sure what it does. All I know is after I do "successful backups", I log into my idisk and my photos and my documents are missing, yet a large percentage of my idisk space has somehow been used.

So, what is the best software to use to backup these type of files? I don't know much about computer lingo so when I read the descriptions of the various backup software applications on their websites, it's all greek to me. I looked at Retrospect but it looks complicated. I also looked into Data Backup3 by Prosoft Engineering which looks a little more user friendly but I dont know if it will back up the type of files I want. All I want to do is back up photos and word processing docs. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

What OS are you running? If you have Leopard, then time machine is a no brainer, that is if you have/are willing to get an external hard drive.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Do you want to back up to a server (internet) or external drive (home).

4. boxtko thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, thanks for the quick responses. Yes, I have Leopard. I do not want to buy an external drive. I just wanted to save my photos and docs on-line.

5. jellomizer macrumors 6502

jellomizer

There are different methods of saving your data online...
    Email, FTP/SFTP Rsync, web upload...

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

External Hard Drives are very cheap now, they are cheaper than .Mac by a long way.

7. boxtko thread starter macrumors newbie

As I've said, I was just looking to save my stuff online through a website that stores peoples personal data. Thats why I bought .mac, but it seems pretty useless to me, unless if Im doing something wrong.

Does anyone know anything about Databackup 3? i think this software backs files up online on their server.

As for external hard drives, I know absolutely nothing about them. Would I be able to save just my pictures and documents to it? Can anyone recommend a decent cheap one? Would it be plugged into the USB port all the time or just when I need it? Does it do scheduled backups or are the backups just whenever I choose to do them? Thanks.

8. .mark. macrumors 6502

are you backing up to your idisk using the backup program from apple. if so you won't see your backed up files as they are archived first and put in the backup folder on your idisk. You won't see the individual documents.

9. boxtko thread starter macrumors newbie

yes. Thats exactly what Im doing (apples backup program) and thats exactly what is happening. You nailed it. I dont understand why there are files for photos and documents if they are being saved with everything else in a backup folder in idisk. The only place my stuff is being stored in is the backup folder...all the other folders, including my photo and my document folders are completely empty. There must be a way to save pictures to my photo folder and word documents to my documents folder. Those folders cant remain empty forever. lol. Maybe I have to save things to the idisk icon on my computer first and then use the backup program rather then just going straight to backup?

On a sidenote, when I go into my online idisk and click on the backup folder, i get that list of archived stuff you mentioned. I tried clicking on the saved archived items but nothing happens. I know that the files are there though. Its like I cant access whatever was saved/archived. I was trying to figure out if my photos were saved there and what else might be saved there.

10. thomas040 macrumors member

thomas040

I would recommend Mozy, if it wasn't because it sucks in its current edition... anyone knows mozys competitors?