New Mac User - Objective C development - 1GB OK?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dba0racle, Sep 27, 2009.

1. dba0racle macrumors newbie

I'm a brand spanking new Mac user. So new in fact that I don't yet have a Mac. I'm trying to "test the waters" as it were before I jump in head first and buy a full blown, melt down the motherboard, MACBook.

So my question is, I've found a Mac Book with 1GB of RAM for a nice, inexpensive price. Can I do basic Objective-C development (Using, for example the iPhone simulator) within 1GB? Will it crash and burn, or can I start there with the idea that I'll move up to a more powerful box later on?

Thanks in advance!!

Robert

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Hmm, I'd strongly recommend upgrading it to 2 GB of RAM -- you can always purchase 2 GB through newegg.com or through some other place and install them yourself. Only tip is to use a brand-new screwdriver of the exact right type and size and a steady hand. All the rest is trivial and takes just a few minutes at most.

Here's the RAM specifications and how to install them for whatever model of MacBook you have:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

a couple of questions:

how expensive is the macbook?

processor specs?

OS X version?

If you're looking for a cheaper way to test mac waters I might suggest looking into a Mac Mini.