New Mac User Publishing Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tonyoptions, Oct 13, 2010.

1. tonyoptions macrumors newbie

I just purchased my first Mac five days ago. I am already impressed with how easy alot of it is.

I am struggling to find answers to some questions I have.

The first one involves converting from PC to Mac. I used to make birthday cards, fliers and invitations on Publisher. I haven't been able to find anything preloaded that does this. I have purchased iWork and found a few options on Pages.

Can you point me in a direction to accomplish these simple tasks?

Thanks a ton.

Tony

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hi Tony

When you say you've found a few options on Pages, is just unfamiliarity with the software or do you feel that after exploring all the options, that Pages isn't up to the task of what you want to do?

3. tonyoptions thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Those are links to non-MS apps that run on Mac that are similar to Publisher.

5. tonyoptions thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps unfamiliarity. In Publisher there was a section for clip art. is there a comparable section on Mac?

6. tonyoptions thread starter macrumors newbie

AhhhhAAA! Thanks a ton. Which ones do you use?

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Apart from Pages, the only item on that list that is comparable is Scribus. The rest are overkill and way too expensive for the task at hand.

Really you have three options: Learn more about Pages with a book or tutorials, try something like Scribus which is free, but I think you'll have problems with... or if you feel comfortable with Publisher, run it on your Mac with Parallels and Windows.

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

8. tonyoptions thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks BLUE!!!

9. Jack06 macrumors member

May I just add that Parallels is a fantastic program, really easy to run Windows on your mac, and when you're not using Publisher you can close Windows as any other application.