New Mac user seeks advice on adding special effects

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Lonely Mac User, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Lonely Mac User macrumors newbie

Being a virgin Mac owner I have loved every second that I have had this machine. The only thing that has frustrated me is that I didn't make the switch years ago.

I am wondering for myself, a new Mac user, what is the best video editing software? I belong to a church and we would like to do little things like short movies with special effects(i.e. campy explosions and making things disappear) to promote the various ministries around the church. We are also wanting to do some video announcements. This may mean green screen and "Picture in Picture" like seen on the nightly news.

Any idea what a noob should use for some of this? I am 26 so I am computer adept, but I get overwhelmed when I look at all the stuff out there. Tell me what I need.

Thanks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What is your budget? Does the Church have any video equipment currently? If so, what do they already have?

Lethal

3. Lonely Mac User thread starter macrumors newbie

The pastor and I have just started talking about this. One of our church members works for CBS outdoors and has access to some really nice cameras (or so I am told). The rest of the church is all macbooks and imacs

Budget wise I am not sure. The pastor is ready to start doing some of this. probably sticking to less that 500 to start. As the skills progress I could see buying the more expensive stuff.