New Mac user specific pointers please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by IamGov, Oct 17, 2009.

1. IamGov macrumors newbie

Can someone direct to me the proper sites or where to find specifics on the transfer from Windows to Mac. I have only been able to understand the basics that are on the Apple website. I am sure there is a lot more that I can do with this advice. Thanks in advance.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I'm not really understanding your question - is the information on Apple's site about migrating from Windows lacking in some way? If so, how? Is there something specific you'd like to do that you didn't see addressed?

3. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hi Iamguv

Welcome to the Forum!

By "Transfer", do you mean transferring files, folders, e-mail, etc.?

Or do you mean learning how to use a Mac effectively?

You may want to turn 2-button mouse "ON" in system preferences if it isn't already. This enables right-clicking. Speaking of right-clicking, the single-button Mighty Mouse can be right clicked by lifting your left finger from the mouse (there's a left-finger sensor). This simple setting helped me transition.

The Apple icon in the upper left corner is used for sleep, shutdown, logout, restart and other system related tasks.

Normally instead of the Start button, you will use either the Dock or Finder.

You'll probably get used to it quickly. In the end most Mac users find OSX easier to use than Windows or at least like it better.

Have Fun
    Good Luck,
    Keri

?"elg?oorM" si htraE no tahW

4. Cboss macrumors 6502

I think that mroogle stands for "MacRumors Google". It's a good place to search for anything on MacRumors, because MacRumors' built-in search doesn't usually work very well.

To answer the IamGov's question: I would recommend using MRoogle to search for any questions you might have. Over the years I'm pretty sure that any question that can be asked HAS been asked here.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click on the link and you'll find out.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Get the "Dummies" book for your OS. That's a good place to start.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac; the Missing Manual" is an excellent choice for a windows user switching to the Mac.

8. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Seconded, I bought that, it helped more than the 'how to use your Mac' type guide, because it related the Windows equivalent to OSX.