New Mac User trying to print double-sided

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gravel99, Feb 17, 2010.

1. gravel99 macrumors newbie

Apart from turning the pages around after printing odd numbers first, can I print double-sided automatically? The printer box has "Two-sided" and "Off" all greyed out. Is there a way to turn it "On"? I'm running Max OS X 10.6.:rolleyes:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you have a printer that's capable of printing double-sided?

3. gravel99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it'a a Canon MX310 which double-sided fine in Windows.

4. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

Have you checked you've got the updated drivers?
    Or just try updating them and see if that works.
    Also post a screenshot of the print dialogue window

5. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

6. gravel99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Printing a screenshot

Er, how do I do that? I can't find a way to copy the printer dialogue window nor to drag it - sorry, I'm rather new to all of this (can you guess??)

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

If I'm remembering correctly from my Canon inkjet the duplex option isn't where I expected it to be (there may have even been a greyed-out option elsewhere); I think it's in the same section of the drop-down menu that you set the overprint if you're doing borderless printing. You might try just going through all the sections of the pop-up box to make sure (Layout, Color Matching, Paper Handling, etc).

Alternately, it's possible that you've somehow gotten a driver that doesn't support auto-duplexing. I've at least heard of situations where the default driver didn't support two-sided while the Gutenprint one did. No point in digging around with drivers until we confirm that it's definitely not available, though.

To take a screenshot, hold down Command-shift-3. That will put an image of the whole screen on your desktop. Better, though, in this case: Hit Command-Shift-4, which will turn the pointer into crosshairs. You can now click and drag to select an area of the screen to take an image of. Do this and attach a picture of your print dialogue to this thread.

8. jgbhardy macrumors 6502

jgbhardy

If you hold down hold down Command+Shift+4+Space bar then you will get a little camera come up with will highlight a window you want to take a screenshot of then just click and it will save a png file to your desktop with the name Screenshot and the date. You can also just do Command+Shift+3 to take a screenshot of the entire screen.