New Mac user (want to access external hard drive)

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I finally talked my grandpa into making the switch to Apple. He just went out and bought a brand new 24" iMac.
My grandpa has an external hard drive he used with his windows machine. He has all of his documents stored on the external drive. When I plugged in the external drive, the iMac didn't recognize it? Did it not recognize it because it is in a different file format? How can I get the iMac to recognize the drive?

thanks.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Any external HD hooked up with firewire or USB should work fine. Maybe try a different port.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The old drive is likely an NTSF format. This cannot be read by Mac, well, it should be readable, but not writeable. Possibly connect the External drive to a PC and transfer the files via FTP on your local network. You know how to do that?

downingp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
The old drive is likely an NTSF format. This cannot be read by Mac, well, it should be readable, but not writeable. Possibly connect the External drive to a PC and transfer the files via FTP on your local network. You know how to do that?
I had to leave and return to my home in Arizona so I am not with him currently to help him out.
I was able to keep his network intact with his windows machine (i.e. see his documents from his external drive through the wireless network). However, I can't see his documents or external drive on the mac computer.
Any help?