New Mac user

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cdrgold, Apr 13, 2011.

1. cdrgold macrumors member

Hello all.

I received my brand new 2011, MBP today and i am in the process of playing around with it. I have been a Windows user for as long as i can remember, so the 'mac world' is new to me.

I have set up a @mac.com account which enables me to log onto the apple website, and i have tried to use this for facetime, however, i'm unsure if i can use this @mac.com email as an email account? I have tried to type in the details into 'mail', however, it is unable to find an account. I did read somewhere that you have to buy the mac.com accounts to use as an email account. So maybe the mac.com account i have is just purely for logging into the apple website?

Any help will be appreciated

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Your suspicion is spot-on: Your Mac.com ID is actually just an Apple ID, which can be used for FaceTime, iTunes purchases, and various other things Apple-related. However... it is NOT a MobileMe account, which would give you access to all the things MobileMe offers.

That said... there are rumors that MobileMe will be drastically overhauled soon - after all, the retail MobileMe boxes are EOL'd (end of life) and are no longer available. I'd just wait patiently - you may be rewarded.

3. cdrgold thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for the speedy response. It would have been nice to set up a new mac.com email with my new mac, however, I will make do with my old email, for now.