New mac user

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Amjad, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Amjad macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I got my first mac last month. It's a new macbook and pre-installed leopard. I'm sure loving my macbook and Mac OS X leopard as well.

Some questions I have. As I'm new mac user so kindly remove my problems I'm having:

1. Tell me, is there any keyboard shortcut to delete a file or folder at once and permanently without moving to trash. ( In windows, there is keyboard shortcut, Shift+del)

2. Is there any option to lock (password) a file or folder in Leopard? if not then tell me any good software.

3. The main problem i am having is about uninstalling 3rd softwares. I read to uninstall software we just have to delete them, thats it. Is it correct or is there any other way to completely remove a software.

Recent I have install a software called graphics converter, later I delete it. But when right click on any file, folder or desktop, it still gives graphics converter options. So, how can i remove those option from right click menu?
    :confused::confused::confused:

2. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Congratulations on your new mac Amjad. I got my first one a year ago and don't regret it for a minute. The bad thing is is that I can't spend as much time as I would like on it to get to really know it. Hubby gets jealous.

Anyway I would like an answer to that last one also.

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

1. Command (the key next to spacebar) delete. and if you want to empty the trash, command + shift + delete.

2. Use a DMG file? I can't really think of any other way. You can make a DMG using Disk Utility and assign a password to it.

3. Sometimes they leave behind traces in other folders, like the application support folder or library files. I think there are 3rd party solutions for this, but I don't install apps that I delete :) Hopefully someone else will have a better answer to this.

Congrats on the new mac!

4. Muzzway macrumors regular

As for an uninstaller, try AppTrap. Deletes all the hidden files when you drag an application to the trash.

Congratulations, as well!

5. Amjad thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys. I really appreciate you help. Yeah, I am loving my macbook but still i need more time to get use to Mac OS X.... Though it easy and fun to use mac.