Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amjad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
Hi guys,

I got my first mac last month. It's a new macbook and pre-installed leopard. I'm sure loving my macbook and Mac OS X leopard as well.

Some questions I have. As I'm new mac user so kindly remove my problems I'm having:

1. Tell me, is there any keyboard shortcut to delete a file or folder at once and permanently without moving to trash. ( In windows, there is keyboard shortcut, Shift+del)

2. Is there any option to lock (password) a file or folder in Leopard? if not then tell me any good software.

3. The main problem i am having is about uninstalling 3rd softwares. I read to uninstall software we just have to delete them, thats it. Is it correct or is there any other way to completely remove a software.

Recent I have install a software called graphics converter, later I delete it. But when right click on any file, folder or desktop, it still gives graphics converter options. So, how can i remove those option from right click menu?
:confused::confused::confused:

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
Congratulations on your new mac Amjad. I got my first one a year ago and don't regret it for a minute. The bad thing is is that I can't spend as much time as I would like on it to get to really know it. Hubby gets jealous.

Anyway I would like an answer to that last one also.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
Hi guys,

I got my first mac last month. It's a new macbook and pre-installed leopard. I'm sure loving my macbook and Mac OS X leopard as well.

Some questions I have. As I'm new mac user so kindly remove my problems I'm having:

1. Tell me, is there any keyboard shortcut to delete a file or folder at once and permanently without moving to trash. ( In windows, there is keyboard shortcut, Shift+del)

2. Is there any option to lock (password) a file or folder in Leopard? if not then tell me any good software.

3. The main problem i am having is about uninstalling 3rd softwares. I read to uninstall software we just have to delete them, thats it. Is it correct or is there any other way to completely remove a software.

Recent I have install a software called graphics converter, later I delete it. But when right click on any file, folder or desktop, it still gives graphics converter options. So, how can i remove those option from right click menu?
:confused::confused::confused:

1. Command (the key next to spacebar) delete. and if you want to empty the trash, command + shift + delete.

2. Use a DMG file? I can't really think of any other way. You can make a DMG using Disk Utility and assign a password to it.

3. Sometimes they leave behind traces in other folders, like the application support folder or library files. I think there are 3rd party solutions for this, but I don't install apps that I delete :) Hopefully someone else will have a better answer to this.

Congrats on the new mac!

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
As for an uninstaller, try AppTrap. Deletes all the hidden files when you drag an application to the trash.

Congratulations, as well!

Amjad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
thanks guys. I really appreciate you help. Yeah, I am loving my macbook but still i need more time to get use to Mac OS X.... Though it easy and fun to use mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.