New Mac User...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edbraindead, Oct 5, 2009.

1. edbraindead macrumors newbie

Hi. I'm a new mac user, to the point that I know very little about macs other than liking my experience with them. About 3 months ago, I got an ibook for really cheap off a friend. It had been dropped, but worked fine, only the lcd screen needed a new plastic shell because it was coming loose at the hinges.

Well, I did a little research into screen replacing and thought I was smooth enough to replace the screen myself. I even got a good deal on a replacement screen, but naturally, I didn't do a good job and it left my ibook to a matter of parts.

After many failed attempts at getting a used mac(ebay/local sellers), I decided to save some cash and go for either a refurbished mac from the apple store, or buying a new one altogether.

I want to edit video on my mac. I'm really starting out simple with limited editing experience. My price range is about $1500-$1600. I was looking into getting a 13" Macbook Pro. I plan on having at least 4 gigs of ram, but wondered if I'm going to see a huge speed increase between the 2.26 GHZ vs. the 2.53 GHZ?

2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Maybe not hugh but every CPU tick cycle helps with rendering video.

But I have to say it... if video editing is going to be the main thing you will be doing, you do realize what kind of quad machine you can get for $1500-1600? Yeah, it's a PC but it will render circles around any macbook.

3. edbraindead thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. I haven't bought anything yet, so I still have my options.

4. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

You can get a quad machine for that price, but not one that will run OS X or any of it's fantastic video editing apps (if he doesn't want to hackintosh, that is). I would look at getting a refurb 15" with your budget; editing on that small screen can be a hassle. You also have to consider if you really need the editing power to be mobile, as opposed to a much more powerful iMac and a cheapo MacBook solution.

5. Kermit8283 macrumors newbie

As a beginner, any of the MBP line would be great for you. It will give you room to grow and learn. Then when you're getting more serious into editing, it will be time for a desktop with some power. Does it have to be a laptop? You can get a strong iMac in that pricerange.

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

What... all *one* of them that isn't available for the PC?

7. edbraindead thread starter macrumors newbie

I wouldn't have even considered a laptop, but I'm constantly on the go with work and school, so something portable would work the best right now. I'd like to get a laptop and get into editing and later down the line maybe get a desktop. This laptop would serve the purpose for school work as well as editing dv footage.