new mac user

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drd7206, Jan 28, 2010.

1. drd7206 macrumors newbie

So, I am getting a Macbook Pro since I just switched my major from Business to Photography. I don't know much about them but I am curious to know if I should get one now, or in August. I'm afraid that if I get it now, a new type of upgrade for their software system will come out shortly after and I don't want to be "behind the times". Does anyone know if they are going to be upgrading anything anytime soon?

Also, when configuring a Mac on the computer, I could have Aperture 2 programed for 200 dollars, is that the cheapest I'll be able to get it ... that is what some people have been telling me.

And lastly, what is the difference between a glossy screen and an anti-glare screen and which is better?

I'm sorry for the stupid questions! I've just always been a PC user!

2. Foreign Feeling macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that there will be no significant change in the operating system for another year. But that's just from speculation..

and yes Aperture is 199$ retail so you might as well just have it preinstalled.. I'm pretty sure you can buy it from a 3rd party but I'm unfamiliar with any trusted 3rd party software stores..

You could also partake in an illegal activity and *cough* torrent *cough* it but thats another matter that we shouldn't really talk about

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Take a good look also at the Adobe Lightroom. I have Lightroom and Aperture and they're both comparable (though there is no end to that discussion, as you'll find out). Anyway, Lightroom does a great job enabling your workflow across two displays. As you know, you can attach an external monitor to your MBP. From my perspective, that's the way to go if you end up playing with photos a lot.

Anyway, what an interesting switch: Business to Photography. I wish you best of luck!