New mac users very excited

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lazaro, Jun 17, 2012.

1. lazaro macrumors newbie

Hey hows it going been lurking the forums for about a year now and just made an account about a week ago, after debating either to get a mac i finally made the transition from windows to mac, i was just wondering what are some good programs to have for my MBP such as security programs, and upgrades such as ram and hdd i would really appreciate it if someone could guide me with some info.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Congrats and welcome!
    Helpful Information for Any Mac User
    Portables Fast Start: The New User's Guide to Apple Notebooks
    Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

7. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

8. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

9. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
    That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. You don't need any 3rd party software to keep your Mac secure.
    You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:
    There are hundreds of existing threads on HDD and SSD recommendations. I'm sure you'll find tons of useful ideas from searching the forum and reading some of those.

3. lazaro thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you very much, bulk of useful info really feel welcomed

4. smnfrstr macrumors newbie

Thanks GGJstudios
    I'm in a similar position (used only Windows before) and looking forward to switching and getting my RMBP! This will help heaps when I finally get my hands on it!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Happy to help! You'll find that just about any question you can imagine has been asked and answered hundreds of times in this forum, so searching for existing threads is the fastest way to get answers. If you don't find an answer in a search, don't hesitate to ask! There's lots of helpful people here.

6. FandangoUK macrumors newbie

This is incredibly useful for me as well as I have my first mac being delivered in a few days. My only remaining concern is that a virus even though they may not affect a mac can be passed onto windows based machines. So macs can be infected, it will have zero impact and no security impact on mac but could be passed to pc through files? Is this correct as this would be a concern for a working professional or anyone else sharing files with windows machines?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I encourage you to read: What about sending files to Windows users? from the: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ that I posted earlier.

If you still want to run antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system. ClamXav has a Sentry feature which, if enabled, will use significant system resources to constantly scan. Disable the Sentry feature. You don't need it. Also, when you first install ClamXav, as with many antivirus apps, it may perform an initial full system scan, which will consume resources. Once the initial scan is complete, periodic on-demand scans will have much lower demands on resources.

8. theSeb, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Most important thing for a new Mac forums user is to remember that this is a hospital so don't be surprised to see sick people (computers). Don't get caught in hysteria.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Very well said!

10. mrmarts macrumors 65816

There's something I did not know a firewall in Mac. I will turn it on both my iMac and new MacBook tommorow thanks for the tips.

Also off the topic does anyone know why apple ousted its MacBook name from the new MacBook pro.

11. leenak macrumors 68020

I can't wait although I'm not exactly new to Macs, I do have an older MacBook. I'm excited to make the switch completely. I pretty much learned any serious computing on UNIX and have never been a Windows person. I've had Windows systems mostly for games and Windows 7 isn't intuitive at all. I will use Bootcamp for the ocassional game but it's OSX or bust for me.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

They didn't. It just doesn't appear on the bottom of the screen. Instead, it's on the bottom case cover.