New Mac - Where to start ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by VETTE277, May 1, 2010.

1. VETTE277 macrumors member

Hey, I've been all over these forums for the past couple years just as an advit creeper/reader, lol. I've finally purchased my first mac ever:
    15" Macbook Pro
    2.4GHz Intel Core i5
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRM - 2x2GB
    128GB Solid State Drive
    SuperDrive 8X DL
    MBP 15" HR Glossy WS Display

Looking forward to to greatly. Unfortunately alot of the info I've read about for new mac users seems out of date (guides several years old, refers to old OS, etc.).

Where do I start with my new mac ? What are some essential current apps, things I can do to get the most out of my experience ? How can I edit my dock and get a clock in my wallpaper like I see in the show your desktop threads on this forum. Stuff like that. Any help for a new guy ? Thanks! :eek:

2. celticpride678

I'm not sure what you mean by "edit my dock." As for a clock, you need to download GeekTool (free) and find the code to get a clock on the desktop.

Essential Apps:

1. Productivity Suite (iWork is the best)
    2. AppCleaner
    3. Paintbrush
    4. VLC

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The best thing to do is look at one of spinnerlys' posts (I'm not being facetious spinnerlys :) ):

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9811104&postcount=3

He always posts a lot of stuff for new people to look at.

As far as apps to get, you can search in MR on "best apps" or "essential apps" and you find a number of newer threads on this.

You can also look at some of my threads in this forum or the Mac OSX forum, if you're a switcher from Windows and wonder where cut and paste is, etc.

4. complexcommunic macrumors regular

A great place to start is to just go into your system preferences (go to the :apple: menu at the top, click system preferences) and just go through each option and see what you can customize.
    As you get more advanced, I'd recommend an application called onyx.

Congrats on your new mac.

5. rasmusDoh macrumors regular

- Get some cool Dashboard widgets

- Get BetterTouchTools (it's awesome)

- Consider getting an external hard drive and set up Time Machine (saved my ass once already!)

- If you like chatting, Adium is really nice

Anything else? Just ask! ;)

6. VETTE277 thread starter macrumors member

My desktop wallpaper seems to reset every time I install something that asks for permission/admin password and doesn't reset until I restart. Any help ? Thanks.

7. VETTE277 thread starter macrumors member

^ Any suggestions to my above question ? I also have another one.

When viewing multiple documents (such as PDFs) in preview in the same window, I will often go to a certain page within a document/PDF and then switch to another document in the same window and go back to the original and the page I was on is lost and is set back at Page 1. Very annoying, any way to fix this ?

Thanks!

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios