New Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Fyremyst, May 2, 2012.

1. Fyremyst macrumors newbie

So I got a new laptop today and I'm trying to transfer a program from a Time Machine back up. The program isn't working due to the fact that I need to put the Library items in my new mac. I don't have a problem with doing this manually, but I can't find the items in the Cache folder. I don't want to put everything on my Time Machine backup to my new mac (because this my personal computer and the desktop is the families). Is there anyway for me to restore both the program and it's library files from Time Machine? Thanks ^-^

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

A little work-around might help. Since some apps store stuff in places where it's hard to find and move, you need to figure out everything that needs to be moved. Often difficult.

So get a copy of AppZapper or one of the other application deletion utilities. On a computer that has the application installed, drop the application on AppZapper. It should show you all the applications files: preferences, caches, etc. DO NOT delete them; note their names and search for them and then manually copy to the appropriate location on your new machine.

Kinda kludgy but sometimes the only way to get it done. If you don't have access to the installed machine, look for an installation log. It might have the same info.

Should be easier, I know. We need a Pacifist-sort of app to be able to move/restore just single applications from TM.

If there's not a ton of applications in the TM backup it's often easiest to migrate and then delete the applications you DON'T want.

rob

3. viktorlsn macrumors member

Agreed, should be the best way of doing this. You will also become fmailiar where the filesystems are, and should be easier for the next apps. ;)
    Good luck !
    Viktor

4. GGJstudios, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Interesting approach, but there's only one problem: In most cases, app removal software such as AppZapper doesn't do a thorough job of locating all app-related files and folders. For more information, read this and this.

A more thorough solution is to search the TM backup for the app, using the method described in the link below. That should give you a complete list of files and folders in Finder. Then make note of the file path for each component as you drag and drop them into the appropriate locations.

5. Fyremyst thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. I can do this, but there is one problem: I can't open the TM Backups from my iMac.

I used 1 external harddrive to backup both of my computers and I can only access the MPB backups. I tried cntrl+clicking on the TM icon and selecting "Browse other TM backups" and it will only let me open the MBP's backups.