new .mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by poppacherry, Feb 7, 2008.

1. poppacherry macrumors newbie

i have a 1 year subscription for .mac, but i'm hesitant on registering it because i keep hoping there's some major updates coming for the app (as steve jobs hinted in the interview at D5 last year)... but i havn't heard anything since. does anyone know of something going on? i really hope they improve it over it's current state, because as of now, i don't feel it's worth $100 yearly...

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Well, there was a major upgrade to 10gb iDisk space last summer (if I recall correctly), so I'd doubt if we'll see any more big changes for a while yet. Personally, I find it worthwhile, but I'm a fairly heavy user of iDisk and the sync features, so YMMV.

3. poppacherry thread starter macrumors newbie

its cool for backing up certain apps, but i think its terribly limited in terms of layout, particularly with iweb. the page designs look poor and it lacks a lot of functionality. i would like to see them design a sort of web scripting service that allows companies to design robust web sites under a .mac subscription, even if it costs extra. just something more than what we have.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

is your iDisk quick ? mine is Slooooooow - like a 56k dial up

5. Mac In School macrumors 65816

The last time they upgraded (increase to 10 GB) all existing .Mac members were automatically upgraded.

Personally, I don't see them upgrading .Mac and not including existing members. ISPs and Web hosting companies always include existing customers in their upgrades. I see .Mac as a similar service to what they offer.

6. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I'm wondering when .Mac itself will actually get a facelift. The fonts looks terrible, and the web temples are clearly from the days of 10.0 and 10.1.

7. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Are you talking about the iWeb templates?

8. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Sure, but then a: I wouldn't be caught dead using iWeb (especially given that web design is something I've done for a living in the past), and b: I don't host my domains at .mac anyhow. :p

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Mine is set to sync the local copy/copies (I use iDisk across several machines - all but one of which are on 24/7) of iDisk with .mac in the background, so I don't really notice the speed 99% of the time - I just copy files to and from, and let the sync routine catch up in its own time. Performance has never really been an issue.

10. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

No, the templates that are on .Mac, you can just see how outdated they look. The entire web interface is just very old, I'm surprised they never really updated it to match the newer style of Leopard.

11. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

I just gave up my .mac subscription after three years of .mac

I just can't justify it anymore, although the sync was realy handy (address book and calendars) my iphone allows me to take this information to work with me now anyway.

Google provide me with excellent email for a price that is great (free!), flickr has nearly all the functionality of the photogalleries, and as others have mentioned the web templates were pretty cheesy on the .mac site anyway.

Plus idisk is reeeaaal ssslllooowww, and pretty tiny considering how much you pay for it.

If they made the pricing keener and updated the sites then maybe they could pull me back in, I did really like being shoesy@mac.com after all.

:(

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

I guess it all depends on which .Mac features you use, and how frequently.

I use the Mail, Sync and iDisk features daily and the Web Gallery feature multiple times a month, so for me, $99 a year is well worth the price. I tried using Flickr, etc, but even with the uploader programs, it just wasn't worth the extra time for me.

I think the way .Mac looks when I logon to my account thru the web interface is dated, but 95% if me interacting with .Mac is done via Mail.app/iPhoto/iMovie/Finder, so it doesn't bother me so much.

When it comes to how .Mac looks to my visitors, I get nothing but compliments about the Web Gallery, esp. how you can skim through an album's photos just like you can in iPhoto. :)

13. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Oh. I didn't know there were .Mac templates. Sorry. I guess I'm still not completely Mac-minded. As long as I can do what I need to do, I don't really care how pretty it is. Give me time. I'll get there.

So how does one change templates? I have .Mac open in Camino and don't see a way to change the look.

14. poppacherry thread starter macrumors newbie

most people wouldn't be caught dead using the iweb templates because they look so god awful. but i have a company im looking to start up, and why couldn't apple use the same simplistic design interface, and not make it look much flashier and more professional. i know you can now use a domain name with .mac addres, instead of the terrible extensive link they give you by default, but its a serious pain in the ass! why couldn't they team up with a domain register like godaddy.com and have that go towards the membership fees? maybe offer more than 10 gigs (because i assure you, with a production company, i'll want at least triple that for all the media).

so assume i don't use .mac to help me easily run a company site without hiring tech guys and web designers, i'm paying $100 a year for an e-mail address and a file back up program...

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You do know that you can design your own iWeb templates, if you're not satisfied with the options that come packaged with iWeb, right?

16. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you don't like it don't buy it. It obviously isn't meant to run a company off of. And the iWeb templates aren't that bad, they're mainly used to get 'mom and dad' to publish their ski trips and what not.

I personally enjoy .Mac. I don't use the email much, but I love the online storage and that it backs up my address book and safari bookmarks. It's for personal use and OBVIOUSLY not for businesses.

17. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

That's the first thing I did was scrap the templets and just create whatever on my website. One could also shop around for other templets from outside sources that look really nice and offer some great options. Also do a google search about iWeb and there is a ton of easy mods for the non-cookie cutter look some iWeb sites can bring to them.
    I see some people don't like the price but if you can keep an eye on Amazon or the likes it's about $30 cheaper. I just bought the Family pack and paid $130 from Amazon so for the price and features that I need and now get it was just right ;) Having an extra place to save some important info and be able to get at it when on the road is a bonus for me and my gf in the future.

18. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I disagree 100%. I think they look better than 99% of the personal Web sites out there, which is exactly what they're for: Personal Web sites.

If you're looking to run a business Web site, don't look to a freebie that came with your computer. Purchase and learn how to use real programs, or hire a professional.

Even if the iWeb templates had the look you are after, the code is not at all search engine friendly.