new mac....!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fmntbh, Mar 12, 2008.

1. fmntbh macrumors newbie

Hi,

Basically i have a brand new 17" mac book pro, a G5 and a couple of G4's, i run run a small design agency, so are limited for cash.

I want to replace the G4's in the office with some new macs, however i can afford to spend it on brand new Powermacs, would a Mac mini of the spec below cope with graphic design work?

Mac Mini

* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 2GB memory
    * 120GB hard drive

Or only other thing is a second hand G5, but then o me the Intel set up looks more powerful?

What you think?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Mac minis are great office machines. I'd wait for an update though since it's somewhat annoying to open them up to install 3-4 GB of RAM.

3. fmntbh thread starter macrumors newbie

Update =new version?

Will i keep up wit or be faster then the Dual 2ghz G5?

What about overheating?

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

A Mac Mini ? Seriously?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

An update would mean a new version with new, faster components.

CPU wise with native applications it'd be much faster then any G5. What's your concern about overheating? I've found it to be a strange worry of users.

6. fmntbh thread starter macrumors newbie

I have no worry really about overheating, im just saying it going to be worked hard on all day everyday.

Yet the new mac Pro seems over kill for CS3

7. fmntbh thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I apologize for being the users that has responded the most to your questions.

Dell's HC (High Color, high..?) line of displays have been rather popular with users here for color accuracy and fidelity. I sadly only have a Dell 2407 WFP and don't do much image editing to give you a better opinion. I don't know what your budget is for a display but I'm sure there are others with more display experience here.

9. fmntbh thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thxs alot for the help, i will research it.

10. demeni macrumors newbie

I don't know why you aren't considering an iMac if you need a display too. The only reason for not going for an iMac would be if you went for the mini / display and replaced the mini later for another mini / equivalent or a Mac Pro. Also, remember that you can order a quad Mac Pro and get a $500 / £320 reduction off the 8 core price and that's almost enough for a 20 inch cinema display. The quad is plenty fast enough for most users.