new mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gamer2502, Dec 7, 2008.

1. gamer2502 macrumors regular

I am trying to decide between three choices. The first is buy a $1600 macbook and a 24'' led display. The second is buy a 2.53 ghz macbook pro. The third is a mac pro. Appreciate your feedback thanks.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What are your needs/uses for this machine?

The more info you give us, the more we can try to help.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If you are looking for advice, you should probably share a little bit about what you plan to use your Mac for...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Like the previous posters said, you need to give a little more details. What are you using it for? How are you using it? Where are you using it? Are you tight for space, is portability important? However, just judging by the fact that the Macbook is one of your options, Mac Pro would probably be an overkill. I would consider an iMac instead. For $100 more than the Macbook, you get the 24'' screen, faster processor and hard drive, larger hard drive and better graphics. It is the cheapest of all your options and a very capable machines.

5. descartes macrumors 6502

you definitely need to specify your needs. that is a wide range of options you are throwing out that would be perfect for different uses.

6. gamer2502 thread starter macrumors regular

more info.

I will be using it for apeture2, finalcut, games (crysis,cod4-5,gtaiv), iwork, internet browsing, multitasking, vmware, photoshop, web design, and shake.

7. gamer2502 thread starter macrumors regular

8. darshan macrumors member

better smarter buy would be macbook pros (especially the older gen)

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB134LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw

its a really good price better then the new macbook pros

plus it has 512 of GPU ram, and a great screen for editing

if anything tht needs to be upgraded for ur needs: i'd recommend 4 gb of ram (which comes for about 70$)

now mac pro is an entirely different contender

its heavy power but ur lookin at MUCH MUCH HIGHER pricings (which i dun see the reason to (unless ur a PROFESSIONAL in video or photo editing)) if not dont waste your money on it

ull be just as productive with macbook pro

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

i wouldnt recmmend macbook even thou its a great machine with portability

i dont think it would meet your needs...

all in all macbook pro is the best deal for you for the money

9. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Are you going to use Motion in Final Cut Studio, or just Final Cut itself? If you're going to use the whole Final Cut Studio, forget about Macbook. If you're serious about playing games (ie. playing often, picky about quality etc), forget about the Macbook. How important is portability to you? If you need portability, then that leaves Macbook pro. If you don't need portability, iMac or the Mac pro would fit. If colour accuracy is important for you, then only the Mac Pro would fit, as both the iMac and Macbook pro have screens that will make colours seem brighter and saturated. Not good if you're going to be doing a lot of colour corrections and such.