Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Just purchased a new MacAir 13" ultimate. i7, 8 GB, 512 GB.

Just opened the box and turned it on. Everything went as expected except when I plugged in the AC power w/ the new magna connector it doesn't charge. The light isn't on the magna connector and shows not plugged in when you open system report.

It started at 93% and now I'm close to 90%.

Any ideas why it's not charging?

This is my 3rd MacAir.

Mid 2010 13"

Mid 2011 13"

and now Mid 2013 13"

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U kids post the most impossible problems.

Is it possible you are in an older home with worn power jacks? Twist the wall plug a little with your hand while everything is plugged in and watch the light.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
U kids post the most impossible problems.

Is it possible you are in an older home with worn power jacks? Twist the wall plug a little with your hand while everything is plugged in and watch the light.

My house was built in 06'. I've tried multiple outlets, twisting, pushing, leaving it alone, etc. I even changed out the piece that removes for the larger gauge extension plug that ships with every MacAir and nobody uses. I changed the removable prong from a known to work unit form one of my other Airs. I even licked it. ;)

They've changed the magsafe whatever it's called on this update. So I can't use any of the other two known working AC adapters.

Doesn't really matter because I'm positive that Apple will make it right no matter the cause. It's just a pain in the arse to go back. I'm holding off migrating from my current Air because 1) I'm not sure how much power will be needed and 2) If it's the 'puter than I don't want to go through the process only to get to do it again.

No worries. I was hoping for one of those easy fixes.

BTW I'm 44.:eek: I've chased electrical gremlins a couple times prior to this little inconvenience.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
My house was built in 06'.

1806? :D

Just for grins, inspect closely both end of the power port to make sure there is not a stuck piece of cellophane or anything. Bring both pieces in just in case.

Try a SMC reset, won't hurt.

Jefe's MacAir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Went back to the Apple Store today and they just swapped it out.

It was a different store and the sales tax was less. Refunded almost $25 on a gift card per my request.

Super easy and literally took less than 10 minutes and they were very busy, especially for a weekday.

Kudos once again to Apple and their customer service. It's one of many reasons I keep buying Apple product for a premium price.

I could've bought 4 decent PC laptops for the same price. I didn't and likely wouldn't. Yes I would like it to be cheaper but who wouldn't?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.