New macbook 100GB, only 50 GB Free...is this right?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mschussel, Jun 15, 2009.

1. mschussel macrumors newbie

i am using my wife's old macbook and it has a 100 GB HD. i deleted her account through the system pref. and setup my own, and after deleting all that it shows I have 50 GB. i am new to apple computers, so i am puzzled that the OS and other basic apps took 50 GB. is there any way to check what is taking up so much room? there is literally nothing installed besides what came with the the laptop initially. if anyone needs more info, please let me know.

2. w.idgetal macrumors newbie

How can you be sure nothing else is installed on there?

3. mschussel thread starter macrumors newbie

i checked all the folders last night, and didn't find anything else other than the standard apps etc. i even deleted unnecessary things. how much space should be available on a new mac book 100GB?

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If there is truly nothing installed, you should go ahead and reinstall the OS. This will give you more benefits than just freeing up space.
    The space likely results from files saved outside the deleted person's home folder. I'm almost certain there is a way to do a spotlight search that shows you files larger than a certain size (most of your storage capacity is likely taken up by only a small number of files).
    I also think that what you call "basic apps" may include applications that aren't default in a Leopard (or whatever OS you have) installation. My understanding is that a default Leopard installation is ~12GB.
    Finally, don't forget that a computer with a 100GB HD will read it as ~90GB (due to decimal to binary conversion and rounding)

5. w.idgetal macrumors newbie

Agreed. I wondered if you'd reinstalled the OS and selected 'Archive and Install'.

I'd reinstall and make sure you select the option to reformat the HDD prior to the install.

You should have a good 90GB available to you.

6. mschussel thread starter macrumors newbie

my friend did upgrade me from tiger to leopard i think, would this have anything to do with it?

7. w.idgetal macrumors newbie

Could be - if he selected Archive and Install then the old OS and all its files will still be saved somewhere. The idea is that, once you're happy, you can delete it.

Not sure where it's stored (can anyone else help?).

8. mschussel thread starter macrumors newbie

if this is not there, and i do not have the discs to reformat and reinstall the OS, what should i do?

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If that is the case, you might as well reinstall the OS unless you don't have the install discs anymore. This might be simpler than tracking down all the space hogging files.

EDIT: I just read your post above, so you'll be forced to find all the files manually unless you can get your hands on some install discs. Sorry.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Deleting a User Account does not erase the Applications Folder. Not to mention 7gb you'll lose by the definition of Gigabyte. So right off the bat you only have 93gb to work with. Also you might have the Garageband instruments installed in the System Library.

11. mschussel thread starter macrumors newbie

i did have ilife installed, but would it take up that much HD space?

12. mschussel thread starter macrumors newbie

one of the users at the top mentioned i might be able to search for all files on the computer sorting by disk space they use? do you know how this is done?

13. w.idgetal macrumors newbie

I think you're asking for trouble doing that.

For the sake of £30, why not buy a 2nd hand copy of the OS on a popular auction website?

14. DCstewieG macrumors member

DCstewieG

15. mschussel thread starter macrumors newbie

much appreciated, thank you....if anything i'll have to get new discs. thanks again everyone.

16. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

There is a way to run special spotlight searches, but I'm at work right now with Windows XP (bleh, but not as bleh as Vista) so I can't try and find it now.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Few options
    - Reinstall OS to factory status
    - Get new harddrive. You still should reinstall.

or
    - Find her pron =p