New MacBook/12" PowerBook comparison PICS

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Yr Blues, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

More pics on sfmotors' Flickr account. Takes me back to those halcyon days.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Darn, the new MacBook is sexy! And yet most of us believed that the 12" PowerBook would always be the sexiest notebook Apple would ever make. It has aged very well, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly sexy anymore. Especially when compared to these new babies...

But which one do you mean?

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Looks very nice, I REALLY wish I could use it to replace my 12" PB. :(

4. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

I would say the 12" is classy as the Unibody MacBook is sexy. I love the old keyboard and size, but I like the new trackpad and backlit keys.

5. andrewag macrumors 6502

Great comparison shots. I never really got people saying a 13" computer was too big but by those shots you can tell the difference - although between having a 12" Rev A PB and a 15" Rev D PB I always thought of 13" as the sweet spot.

Anyway, again, great comparison.

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

The PowerBook would look even sexier with a bigger trackpad.;)

7. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

The new macbook makes the 12" powerbook look positively fat! The footprint of the 13" isn't that far off either... I think you can accept that the 12" is no longer needed for portibility... it's small but I think a 13" macbook is at a sufficient stage of weight/size now that people can move on.
    Of course the fans of the 12" powerbook will never move on, and will continue to compare everything to it for ever :p

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You betcha! :D

(Until FW is back, which is never :p )

9. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

The footprint IS far off. Anyone that can't see that might as well say the 13" MacBook is close in size to the 15" MacBook. Let's be honest. :rolleyes:

I'll probably get the new 13" but I would not hesitate buying an updated 12". I can see it working if the 13" screen was edge-to-edge like the iPhone. Then it would be the smaller with the same size screen.

10. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

How small is your bag? I can understand wanting 12" for less weight but when it comes to footprint I don't see what the big deal is unless you are comparing it to a 15/17".
    I am on a 12" thinkpad so I'm not against 12" or anything but I just don't get peoples objections to the slight extra size.

Either you have very tiny lap or your bag is actually a handbag ;)

11. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I just sold my 12" PB last night. I miss it a little, but the new MB is so much more computer, and so much sleeker. If the PB had been more upgradeable, I might have held onto it a bit longer. It was like a classic little sportscar. But like a classic little sports car, it was a lot slower than a modern sportscar.