New MacBook 2.0 Battery Times

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yozh, Nov 29, 2008.

1. yozh macrumors 6502

Hello,

So I been with my MacBook for a little over a month now, I upgraded the Hard Drive to 7200 RPM Seagate 320GB and happy with. But lately I started to notice that the battery lasts me a little over 3 hours, I have to admit I am I heavy user, I usually have RDP open which spikes up the CPU and my minefield (FF 3.1 beta with gestures) has gazillian tabs open and cpu usage for that is usually 20-30%, I am connected to eather AP express N or extreme N, bluetooth is off. The Mac does get hot at times. Is the battery time of 3+ hours normal any recommendation ? Thanks in advance.

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i wouldnt be worried. i have had about the same battery duration when i am chugging away on my machine. i get 5-6 hours if all i am doing is being a forumwhore

3. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Really 5-6 hours of just browsing thats pretty good.

4. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

ya i do most of my browsing in the evening or at night. so the screen dims itself down and the battery life is great

5. youssefm macrumors 6502

i think a little over 3 hours is right if your doing all that stuff... i can get over 7 hours with the screen on the lowest brightness setting (thats still visible) and 3 applications running (safari, itunes and mail)

6. frogcat macrumors member

Yeah, I guess I am a little spoiled. My blackbook ran around 4-5 hours with heavy surfing and music. Doing the same on my Alumbook will make it last 3.5-4 hours. The one thing about this notebook is that the screen is always bright no matter at what setting. I may start to keep it at low all the time. It would be nice to squeeze out a little more juice from this thing.

Maybe a bigger battery is coming on the way (we do have replaceable batteries now). hah!

7. yozh thread starter macrumors 6502

Well 7 hours is a whole lot, I wonder whats the CPU usage at that time. I wonder how many tabs in safari/FF are open. Do people still have stock drives ? I just bought more RAM, lets hope 2gig modules dont need more juice :)