New Macbook 2.4 Memory Upgrade ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gunlocators, Dec 8, 2008.

1. gunlocators macrumors member

Ok I have 2gig DDR3 memory in my new macbook I also hae installed paralles and want to know if I would see a noticable difference if I upgrade to 4gb. Also whats the best way to go with memory upgrades. Pay high price to apple or goto crucial.com and pick some up for $125.00 or is there a better route. I bought at best buy but they want a mint for ddr3 memory for this mac

2. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

4GB of DDR3 RAM is substantial. Yes, you would notice a difference, but only with certain applications (e.g. CS4). If you're typing essays and watching youtube, for instance, you won't notice a difference.

Personally, I would suggest upgrading through Apple. Presently, DDR3 memory is quite expensive and for once Apple's memory is aggressively priced. The cost to upgrade with Apple will cost about the same as a 4GB kit from a 3rd party vendor (give or take $10).

Of course, if you upgrade with Apple, you lose the 2GB that came with the computer. If you upgrade with a 3rd party, you have to install the RAM yourself, but you can sell the extra RAM that came with the computer.

HOWEVER... there have ben issues with installing 3rd party DDR3 RAM in the new MB/MBPs, so if you're going to go the 3rd party route, I suggest you wait a month or two until the wrinkles are ironed out.

Hope that helps!

3. Avizzv92 macrumors regular

I heard stories going around that the new Macbooks dislike memory upgrades of any kind and that people switching out the default memory with there own have had computer difficulties afterward. Not sure if this is all of the new Macbooks or a bad batch.

That being said don't get 4gb from Apple it always seems overpriced. Check out Newegg.com they are a very reputable computer part dealer that has Ram supported by Apple. As for the brand I always heard Crucial and Kingston where good.

If you need more would depend on what you do with your computer... Photoshop, gaming, video editing, programing, ect...

4. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

Actually, there are known problems with the Crucial RAM...

Usually, I would agree with you, but definitely not in this case. Apple's DDR3 RAM is not overpriced (at least in comparison to their previous pricing). Believe me, I did the research in October. Unless prices have changed substantially, the only savings will be $10, RAM you have to sell, and the headaches associated with incompatible hardware.

If you want to go 3rd party, at least wait a month or two.

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Crucial and Kingston are good brands. I got 4GB's from Crucial in my Blackbook and it is awesome. My friend bought 4GB's from Crucial for his brand new alu Macbook Pro and it works awesome. He paid $110 which included shipping. Apple takes the RAM like others have said. You can easily get $30 for that which makes it $80 if you buy 4GB's for the DD3. I would buy it 3rd party for sure.

6. gunlocators thread starter macrumors member

Nearest apple store is 5 hours away. Bought it at best buy they want $300 for the memory.