new MacBook - 2nd generation already this year?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lars666, Mar 12, 2015.

1. lars666 macrumors 6502a

Hi everybody,

I am temped to buy the new MacBook, but also try to stay strong waiting for the 2nd generation - hoping that (MacBook Air) history will repeat itself and the MacBook will gain a second USB-C port - a small, but significant addition which would make this new machine perfect for my needs.

Do you think we will already see a 2nd generation at the end of this year? Or will it probably not released until 2016?

Thanks in advance!

2. pmau macrumors 65816

No. I don't think so. Apple does not need to have a short update cycle.
    Just because you want a different machine, Apple won't build one.

3. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not a case of "I want Apple to build my dream machine" - it's looking at the history of the MacBook Air (Unibody MacBook, too?), seeing that they've added ports in the second generation and making an educated guess about the probability that history will repeat in this case. (Very well knowing that this hope could turn out false.) Personally, I am very positive that Apple will add a second USB-C port in the 2nd generation.

Also, I don't see why a "Late 2015" refresh after about 8 months should be implausible. (Although I am also afraid it won't be released until early/mid 2016.)

4. TreRep macrumors regular

TreRep

skylake will be a great step forward for the Y series (Core M)

so i think it is possible 2nd generation already this year...

and with a 2nd USB-C :D

5. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would be great, let's hope! It surely won't be easy for me, but I hope I'll stay patient enough to still rock my "fat" Retina MacBook Pro until the 2nd generation of the new MacBook is out. Immediate buy then! :)

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

It is likely that Apple increases the number of connectivity options for the rMB at some point, but a new release within one year is highly unlikely. There would have been some supply chain leaks by now - thinking of how early 12" rumors started swirling last year.

7. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I can imagine a refresh towards the end of the year with some spec bumps.

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

The MacBook Air went 2 years and 9 months before getting a 2nd USB port on its 4th generation. I wouldn't hold my breath.

9. lars666 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not before its 4th generation - really?? Thanks for the info, my memory surely betrayed me in this case.