New MacBook - a few questions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krisapp, Apr 27, 2015.

1. krisapp macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Im trying to help my fiance find a new laptop for work and I am looking at the new MacBook that is coming out or Macbook Air/Macbook Pro

My Fiance has a 27" iMac she is hoping to use as a secondary display via thunderbolt and she uses office and CS6 - she quite often has all of the CS open (illustrator/photoshop/indesign and does some minor Premire work)

Questions
    - best pic of the 3 (considering she will need to carry it home every night)
    - Can USBC connect to Thunderbolt on 27" iMac?
    - are the specs of the Intel Graphics and Intel Dual Core M processor sufficent for CS6 with 8GB RAM?

Cheers

Kris

2. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

I think you will have a problem (it may be impossible) to connect the rMB to an iMac via Thunderbolt, because the rMB does not support Thunderbolt over USB-C. It *does* support DisplayPort, but I'm pretty sure the iMac (and Apple Thunderbolt display) require a Thunderbolt connection in order to display video.

You may also find the rMB a bit slow for CS6, certainly less than the iMac.

The rMB is the most portable, but she would be better off the MBA or probably the rMBP for the use you describe.

3. andy9l macrumors 68000

MacBook Pro. No question.

The new MacBook is NOT for this kind of work. It's for fairly basic tasks for the common laptop user. It'll handle a bit of Photoshop, but definitely no Premiere. Plus, I believe it's currently impossible to connect it up to an iMac.

The MacBook Air doesn't have the retina screens, which I would suggest is a necessity for someone buying a new computer and working with CS in this day and age - especially for digital design work.

Now it comes down to budget and the need for portability. There can be a huge performance jump between the 13" and 15" MacBook Pros. But it's also a jump in size and weight...and price.

4. krisapp thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys thanks heaps for the responses I think that rules out the MB

Can you confirm that all new MacBooks air/pro via thunderbolt can use an iMac as external display via thunderbolt?

5. andy9l macrumors 68000

Yep.

All current MacBook Air and MacBook Pro models can utilise your 27" iMac as a primary or secondary screen.