Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CasiLindberg

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2008
I just received my new macbook not long ago and I was happy to see there were no problems with it except slanted keys.

I must emphasize SLANTED KEYS ARE NOT A PROBLEM, people who have returned their macbooks because of slanted keys have just wasted their time since they do not affect your typing, and you ONLY notice them when you look very carefully at a abnormal angle.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I just received my new macbook not long ago and I was happy to see there were no problems with it except slanted keys.

I must emphasize SLANTED KEYS ARE NOT A PROBLEM, people who have returned their macbooks because of slanted keys have just wasted their time since they do not affect your typing, and you ONLY notice them when you look very carefully at a abnormal angle.

I can see why people have a problem, you pay all that money and it should be perfect out of the box. It's not a cheap investment by any means and if people want to take them back just for that problem I think they have every right too.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I honestly couldn't care any less about slanted keys. But I do respect others that do, and I am particularly pleased to learn that Apple is doing the right thing to keep their customers happy even on minor issues like this.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I can see why people have a problem, you pay all that money and it should be perfect out of the box. It's not a cheap investment by any means and if people want to take them back just for that problem I think they have every right too.

Since when did computers become investments?

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Ok investment was a bad word to use.

I understood what you mean though. I guess the best advice to give to people is, if it works then don't complain. Some people might define "if it works" being that the laptop is flawless which in my opinion would be a very low percentage. The slanted keys wouldn't bother me as much as a laptop that rocked when I type on it or the LCD flickered.

What people need to realize is, things are built today with the requirement of Supply and Demand which tosses QA out the Window. Honestly, if Apple did take the time to enhance their QA, the price of their laptops would sky rocket.

Again, these are just my thoughts.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Kind of a personal decision. You may not care, some people may. Who really cares if they return their macbook for one without slanted keys?

I just don't see why people are that concerned with other peoples habits.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Kind of a personal decision. You may not care, some people may. Who really cares if they return their macbook for one without slanted keys?

exactly, if people actually mind their own business this would be a better place to live

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA

I agree. I personally don't know what I would do in that situation, therefore I'm not going to bash anyone for returning it.

CasiLindberg

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2008
I understand if spending 1000+ euros is a lot of money to some people cause it defiantly is for me, but returning a macbook because of a small flaw, gives you a chance of receiving a even bigger flaw e.g. dead pixel

When this happens you get frustrated and want to post it on a forum

When potential buyers read this they get nervous and might put them off the macbook, that was the point I was trying to get across cause I have been in both situations.

hellomoto4

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Australia

Totally agreed.
Plus, mine aren't that bad anyways :D

Crash1234

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Slanted keys do not affect the functionality of the product but that does not mean it is not a defect or a problem. You spend top dollar on a machine and I think it's completely reasonable to expect physical perfection from it. Would you accept a brand new car with a couple of dings in the door? It doesn't affect the functionality.

therealdt

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2008
northeast region

People expect a ferrari or a bentley to be perfect. I mean these laptops are not handmade by a craftman. If my laptop is f&*ed to the naked eye, I'll return. If I look at it under microscope and find an issue then I must have the issue.

I could care less what someone does or doesn't do. I just hope more returns means the refurb shop will be packed. :D

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Pull it out and look at it carefully right there in the store. :D Seriously, look for dents, slanty keys, etc. Take a movie with you on DVD and play it to make sure the display is decent; any black and white, film noir, or tim burton flick will do. Make sure you can make out the darker colors clearly, blacks being black and not gray.

If she passes, take her home and fire her up!

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
People expect a ferrari or a bentley to be perfect. I mean these laptops are not handmade by a craftman. If my laptop is f&*ed to the naked eye, I'll return. If I look at it under microscope and find an issue then I must have the issue.

I could care less what someone does or doesn't do. I just hope more returns means the refurb shop will be packed. :D

if you buy a car and something isn't working right, don't you go back and get it fixed? I see some car dealers that if you don't like the car for any reason you can return it with in a week and get a different one.

I see what you are saying about seeing stuff w/ a naked eye, all I am saying if a person wants to return/exchange the MB or MBP for something that isn't right, go ahead. As long as it makes you happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.