New Macbook Air 13 with Mavericks installed...??

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HalfLife, Feb 13, 2015.

1. HalfLife macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I bought a brand new Air 13" from the Apple store. When I fired it up I was greeted with Mavericks. Since Yosemite has been out for sometime (correct me if I'm wrong), I'm assuming either I got old stock... or a refurb, although I didn't think the Apple store's stocked refurbs, so should my concerns be put aside? I'm no overly complaining because to be honest I like Mavericks more, but I was just a little concerned that I did get a really old stock Air, or someone's return.

2. windywalks macrumors 6502

When I got my 2009 17" MBP at an Apple Store it had Leopard installed instead of Snow Leopard, so to answer your question - you got some old stock that was lying around.

3. HalfLife thread starter macrumors newbie

I called the Apple store and they confirmed they are using up old stock.

4. matt550 macrumors 6502

Not a big deal I guess. But in all honesty it would probably bother me a little. I'm weird that way, lol.

5. motrek macrumors 68020

Do you think laptops get stale on the shelf, like tomatoes? :)

6. Meister Suspended

Meister

The RAM tends to get stale after a certain amount of time.
    Better check the expiration date ;)

7. HalfLife thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple store employee was at first perplexed himself how I would have received Mavericks installed on a brand new Air, so he had to confirm it with guys in the back... (techs, management..?) Anyway, it was related to me that they use up the oldest stock first (makes sense), and so there were probably a few maverick installed laptops kicking around.
    As I said I don't necessarily mind, I still prefer the old GUI, but eventually I will have to change.
    My one concern was regarding the restore partition... when I eventually move to Yosemite, does the Mavericks partition stay in-tacked, or will Yosemite throw itself in there?

8. motrek macrumors 68020

Why are you worried about this? If Yosemite does update your restore partition such that it can only be used to download and install Yosemite (or later), then you're no worse off than if you got a laptop with Yosemite pre-installed.

9. windywalks macrumors 6502

It's probably a few months difference at most, but I would definitely be moderately disappointed if it was more since I'd rather have a fresh battery installed - that part actually gets less efficient over time.

10. motrek macrumors 68020

Batteries lose lifespan much faster due to actual use--i.e., charging them and discharging them--vs. leaving them stored with half a charge.

11. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Which version of OS X is installed by OS X Recovery?
    If you use the Recovery System stored on your startup drive to reinstall OS X, it installs the most recent version of OS X previously installed on this computer.
    If you use Internet Recovery to reinstall OS X, it installs the version of OS X that originally came with your computer. After installation is finished, use the Mac App Store to install related updates or later versions of OS X that you have previously purchased.
    http://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT4718

12. HalfLife thread starter macrumors newbie

When I initially turned on my 13 and saw Mavericks, it only had about 8% battery life left, no joke. From seeing friends and family who bought new, I know usually it's around 50-75, I've never seen 100% new. But that 8% does have me thinking how long was mine sitting somewhere...

13. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Download coconutBattery to find out exactly when your Air and your battery were made. It will give you exact dates for both.

14. HalfLife thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip. The Macbook was Manufactured on Sept-01 and the Battery on August-15.

15. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

You have nothing to worry about man, especially because you have the Apple's support blanket. ;)

16. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Glad it helped. It's a nice little free app. Keeps tabs on your load cycles as well. Also your battery current wattage and charge, temp, full charge compared to new and other stats. Some good info on your Mac too.