Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Thought I'd like the 11inch one but after messing with it for 5 minutes are so the screen size kinda bothered me. It's too "squat". It's not long enough and feels a bit weird browsing the web. I have to imagine it'd be equally annoying in other apps. The 13inch one on the other hand overall was too large of a notebook for me. So I'm kinda left with that first impression and will need to think about it more. Best Buy didn't have any of the 4GB or 1.6ghz equipped 11inch ones either. Sales person said they'd probably not carry that config ever, so dunno if the dude really did know or not. Everything else about the notebook was impressive though.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Squat is the exact feeling I have when using other 1366 x 768 notebooks. 800 pixels tall is my absolute minimum but getting to 900 is my goal.

rsdq

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2008
As I called around yesterday trying to find an 11" 1.6 and 4gb ram I was told by two different Apple stores that configuration(and HD bump) will be carried in store in the next week or two.

Sound like that might be a popular configuration.

Easy enough to order online, still nice to be able to walk out of store with config. you want.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
I don't understand why they didn't put the SD card reader on the 11". That's the model that could use the extra storage space.

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
Thought I'd like the 11inch one but after messing with it for 5 minutes are so the screen size kinda bothered me. It's too "squat". It's not long enough and feels a bit weird browsing the web. I have to imagine it'd be equally annoying in other apps. The 13inch one on the other hand overall was too large of a notebook for me. So I'm kinda left with that first impression and will need to think about it more. Best Buy didn't have any of the 4GB or 1.6ghz equipped 11inch ones either. Sales person said they'd probably not carry that config ever, so dunno if the dude really did know or not. Everything else about the notebook was impressive though.

For me, I really like the screen on the 11". I played with one for a while at the Apple Store. Maybe it's because i don't use any apps full screen? I am used to having safari in a ratio closer to 4:3 with space on the sides for iChat and other apps that i can just click on to bring them to the front. To each his own.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
I don't understand why they didn't put the SD card reader on the 11". That's the model that could use the extra storage space.

1. Space in enclosure / connection to motherboard
2. Way to get people to buy a more expensive model
3. Primarily for use with photography, for which the 13.3" screen is more suitable

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
I think 12.1 inch is right size for ultra mobile environment. I had old 12.1 powerbook before. it was very decent laptop, and loved it so much. Apple shouldn't make two different models rather than one. they should make only one model which has 12.1 inch screen with powerful, and long battery life spec. I think that 13.3 inch doesn't seem right for macbook air anymore. we have already the screen size for macbook, macbook pro. I think that's enough.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Squat is the exact feeling I have when using other 1366 x 768 notebooks. 800 pixels tall is my absolute minimum but getting to 900 is my goal.

Eidorian, this is the whole truth, I know now for sure that Apple will never ever ever ever make a product for you, period.

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
I think 12.1 inch is right size for ultra mobile environment. I had old 12.1 powerbook before. it was very decent laptop, and loved it so much. Apple shouldn't make two different models rather than one. they should make only one model which has 12.1 inch screen with powerful, and long battery life spec. I think that 13.3 inch doesn't seem right for macbook air anymore. we have already the screen size for macbook, macbook pro. I think that's enough.

I hate to say this out loud but I agree ... I don't want the choice. Those of us that have been in the Mac environment are used to this by now. Take what they give you until it's time for your next dose!

I feel the screen of the 11 is somewhat off and the 13 does feel / look to big for the air now. I can't decide which to get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.