New Macbook Air for dad, what does he need?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Rocko1, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Getting my somewhat knowledgeable pops a Macbook Air. Want to have it all setup for him. What's the best anti-virus? Are ClamXav and Sophos ok? Thx.

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Running OSX you don't need any virus protection. Just give him the machine and he will enjoy using it. The Mac OS is well laid out and everything is very easy to find.

3. simsaladimbamba

No need for AV software, Sophos even makes Mac OS X more vulnerable.

There are currently no viruses for Mac OS X in public circulation, only a handful of trojans and other malware, which have to be installed manually via entering the administrator password.
    The only anti-virus you need to protect your Mac is education and common sense.
    Also know, that the term "virus" is often used to refer to other kinds of malware, but there are differences, which you can find out by reading the following:

Mac Virus/Malware Info by GGJstudios

Also of interest:

4. Rocko1 thread starter macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Thanks for the reply. So it comes with firewalls on, etc also?

5. simsaladimbamba

The Firewall is disabled by default.

6. goMac macrumors 603

I would just give it to him unopened in the box. That's what I'm doing with my dad.

The firewall is off by default, but there isn't much reason to turn it on. If you really wanted to, it's simple to turn on afterwards, but it's off by default because it's unneeded. I haven't run any of my machines with the Firewall on for 10 years, and I've never had a single problem.

(Windows is a different matter. All my Windows machines have Firewall on. But not my Macs.)

7. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I went to the download page for clamxav as linked to by the page-

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11835313&postcount=52

And just above the download link was a ruddy great advert for MacKeeper, which as we all know is best avoided. I am sure the advert space sale had nothing to do with the clam download but it just shows that mal-ware merchants can advertise on web pages which offer legitimate downloads.

8. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Give him a book along with the machine. I like mac os x lion the missing manual and/or mac os x lion for dummies by levitus.

9. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Sophos are beastly. They are constantly using their own crappy market research to bamboozle mac new boys into buying their pointless software. They have carved out a share of the useless mac anti-virus industry by confusing people about the difference of malware and virii Ignore them, and everyone else who says macs can be infected by virii. When a mac has a virus it will be on the front page of all the world's newspapers and it will be the top article on every news TV program.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    Sophos should be avoided, as it could actually increase your Mac's vulnerability, as described here and here.

11. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Concur re. Virus needs. You can gift him software from the app store but let him have the joy of opening the package himself. Works straight out of the box anyway and the only thing you have to consider is what user data he may want migrating from a previous machine. He can use Setup assistant during initial set up if he has stuff to hand or migration assistant afterwards. He may even be able to take the machine to an Apple store and get help setting up. Does he have an Apple ID (from iPod or iPhone days). That would expedite set up significantly.

He may even be able to migrate from a previous PC.

Then if he has iPod, iPad or iPhone he needs to think about iCloud and how (if at all he wants to utilise it). First world problems.

Finally, you need to think about what your father will be using his machine for. Does he really need a laptop or will an iPad2 suffice?

12. Rocko1 thread starter macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful. He has an iPad 2 and is looking to ditch his old PC. He has wanted a mac air since he first saw one. He got into trouble from time to time on his PC with viruses, etc. even with good protection(searching for Russian mail order brides possibly?), hence the question. Thanks again.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

He won't have to worry about viruses on his Mac. However, I can't guarantee the mail order brides will be virus-free! :D

14. VMMan macrumors 6502a

You may need to turn on parental controls.

15. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

He got a damn good taste. :D