New MacBook Air in WWDC 2014

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by phitcharkorn, Mar 12, 2014.

1. phitcharkorn macrumors newbie

I love the 2013 MBA I'm planning to buy it but I heard that the new model is coming in WWDC this year.Is it just a rumor or it's confirmed by Apple.If it a rumor is it 100%? And if the new model comes out, it will be the little update or huge update? I don't want the retina display but if it's lighter and thinner I would wait for it.If it just a little update or it won't come out, I'll buy the 2013 model. Or can I wait for the new one to come out and buy the old one to save money?(I don't have a lot of money to spend and this going to be my first and only Mac for years).

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Apple has not confirmed it no, just a rumor, and an unlikely one at that.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Recent prior history would indicate that its unlikely. They seem to use WWDC to promote their iOS products more then desktop/laptops

4. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

I thought they shown of a build of the upcoming OSX. Will they preview 10.10/11 at WWDC 2014?

5. MrT-Man macrumors regular

Why is it unlikely that there would be a new Macbook at WWDC? It's been two years in a row now that they've had Macbook announcements. I know that Broadwell isn't here, but what about a Macbook Air with IGZO screen? As was the case with the iPad Air, IGZO would let them shave off some weight.

6. SpoekGTi macrumors regular

IF it gets announced it would be a minor spec bump.

Why you ask?

A: Intel hasn't had their new CPU's ready yet and won't get that fixed till Q4 2014 or even Q1 2015

And what is left to bump then?

1. SSD (maybe they drop the 128GB) and they are shipping the 256 standard and with options up to 1 TB

2. Memory, standard 8, optional to 16GB

3. Screen, still the same after x years, so dire need of an upgrade, not expecting a Retina but 1920x1080 would be nice on the 13"

4. Battery, maybe they can squeeze a hour or 2 to 4 extra in the next one.

So yes, it's going to be a minor spec bump or at least you can choose to get a spec bump memory wise.

7. MrT-Man macrumors regular

Well, I wouldn't call the screen a minor spec bump. Again, IGZO leads to dramatic improvements in battery life, meaning they could shave off some weight in the process.

Also, no one really knows the truth about Broadwell. We've only heard rumors. I imagine Intel will have to provise an update in a month or so on their next quarterly earnings call.

Anyway, personally I'm not buying until WWDC. No one on this forum has any idea what Apple may or may not release then, and three months isn't long to wait relative to the 4-5 years that I typically keep my laptops.

8. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

Haswell chips are quite capable chips. I do not foresee this changing to Broadwell yet (especially with the rumored delays).

I can see them upgrading RAM to 8GB but they will leave the SSD @ 128GB in the base config.

I am assuming that Apple will not do a resolution bump on the screen and instead move on to Retina displays. Apple wants to have the best laptops in the market and a non-retina MBA just doesn't cut it anymore in 2014.

I really do hope Apple puts a Retina screen in the MBA this year. I would buy on day 1 if they do.